How do you guys like the home time plus

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by NJ Newbie, Sep 11, 2013.

1. NJ Newbie

NJ Newbie Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    South Jersey
    I was talking with a recruiter. They said 14 out 7 home. 3 drivers between 2 trucks. How does that work out for you guys?

thanks!

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BIGLEE500

BIGLEE500 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I've been on it for 18 months and really like it...still make good money too, slip seating isn't bad either as long as everybody does there part in keeping the truck cleaned up . My last 14 I did just over 6500 miles which is the most I've ever had, normal is 5500 to 6000.

4. NJ Newbie

Aug 9, 2013
    South Jersey
    They told me avg is 2800 / week. I applied for the flatbed division. Sharing the truck has me a little concerned about the condition you get it back in

Thanks!! And glad to hear you're doing good and like it!!

5. BIGLEE500

BIGLEE500 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Ohh I'm a van driver, I don't think there's any flatbedders on here that do the hometime thing, I won't say much then cause I don't know much about flatbed or the miles they get, but there's a lot of good flatbed guys on here that can tell you more

6. NJ Newbie

Aug 9, 2013
    South Jersey

Its ok to chime in. I was more curious about sharing the trucks right now. Thanks!!!

7. The OSU

The OSU Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I was thinking 14/7 or 7/4, 7/3 during RDTC but switched to national 11/3 so I didn't have to clean everything out and could park near home vs 70 miles away at a drop yard. Average 5k miles in 11-12 days out. They'll let you change anytime if you aren't happy or need a change.

Skydivedavec and NJ Newbie Thank this.
  8. technoroom

technoroom Heavy Load Member

Nov 8, 2012
    I've been on flatbed 7/7 coming up on five months now (was 11/3 national fleet for the first month or so, as a new driver after graduating from Roehl's RDTC CDL school). My situation is a bit different, as currently I have a truck to myself since there's no other 7/7 drivers out of where I'm based...so the truck is always in immaculate condition each time I launch. :) But as for miles and scheduling, I can say that they have always gotten me back home when my run is scheduled to end, and the miles are reasonably close to what they say is their goal.

Note that as a brand-new flatbed driver, you probably won't be doing 2800 miles per week even if they have those miles to give you -- you'll (hopefully) be spending more time at first making sure each load is carefully and properly secured, which will eat into your driving hours a bit. This is extremely important though, as it's literally a life-and-death issue for the motorists around you on the road. Just do a bit of Googling for pictures of flatbed loads that have come undone and you'll see what I mean.

9. The OSU

The OSU Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My son was following a flatbed with large rolled bales of hay today as one fell off at highway speed tumbled down the highway and eventually ended up on the shoulder missing him and the other vehicles. Driver was looking in his mirrors (according to my son) but kept going. Few minutes later he was pulled over by highway patrol after a motorist called it in. Wonder if he'll be driving tomorrow?

Skydivedavec and technoroom Thank this.
  10. Mr.zero

Mr.zero Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Toms river, nj
    I'm heading to orientation on Saturday. I'm doing flatbed 14/7. My terminal (drop yard) is in Bensalem,PA. I'm really excited to start my new career and incredibly nervous (anxious) at the same time. I chose flatbed because of the physicality, and the challenge of strapping and tarping. I REALLY hope this works out for me. I REALLY want to do this job. I hope to meet some of you guys on the road. I'll be in the Roehl flatbed (fingers crossed).

Skydivedavec, technoroom and NJ Newbie Thank this.
  11. technoroom

technoroom Heavy Load Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Lucky it was a bale of hay rather than a coil of sheet metal. I've seen pictures (trucker daily fail Facebook page) where a coil fell off as the truck was going over a highway overpass, and it went right through the road below leaving a coil-shaped hole.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.