How do you guys manage your financials

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by bighelper, Sep 21, 2019.

1. bighelper

bighelper Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I was just wondering do owner operators and brokers ever hire a bookkeeper or accountant for handling finances?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i think that would be smart, or at least "hire" the spouse. this way, the driver/owner can concentrate on the job of driving, and maintaining the equipment. i feel that when one person does it all, leads to burn out.

if an o/o, hire a pro, or again, the spouse.

if a company driver, have a CPA to handle the yearly taxes/wages.

i always had (and still do have) a great CPA. others may wish to do thier own taxes each year, or handle all the other important paperwork, but when you get home, you're already dog tired.

let someone/pay someone else to take some of the burden off you.

stayinback Thanks this.
  4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Or,get burned out like I did do by doing everything yourself and in 20 years you'll have around a million in savings

D.Tibbitt and buddyd157 Thank this.
  5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Me, I just spent mine on fast horses, wild women and good whiskey, any left over I wasted.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. Mike Hardin

Mike Hardin Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Why would a company diver need a CPA? It's just a w2. Turbo Tax that stuff, or at most a paid preparer, but a CPA is overkill. If you are an o/o then a bookkeeper and/or CPA makes sense.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's managed until Zero Dollars.

At that point all Billing is Deferred. Collectors told to scram. And the Tax Man will get his and not a dollar more.

You can absolutely making a small fortune in trucking. By detonating a large fortune. //snarky.

IF by some miracle you managed to sit on a million dollars in cash under your recliner at home burning 100.00 bills to light your cigars you would not need to worry about such mundane questions as money management your CPA takes care of all that pesky stressful stuff.

8. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    It depends on the situation. I'm a company driver and I use a CPA. A smart driver invests his money wisely and if you have a decent portfolio built up you really need a CPA.

9. Mike Hardin

Mike Hardin Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2019
    I have two rental properties, invest in a 401k and our employee stock purchase plan. I have another investment account that was intended to pay for my son's college, but he joined the army instead. I still do my own taxes with online tax prep software. It costs me about $75, a CPA would charge several hundred.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.