How do you like your Schneider Dedicated Route?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by fjrgerry, Jan 20, 2016.

1. fjrgerry

fjrgerry Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Philadelphia suburbs
    I'm starting CDL school next week and talking to Schneider about a dedicated route once I've graduated. Routes they are offering now in my region (SE PA) are for Dollar General. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions? Thanks!

Gerry

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Bays

Mark Bays Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Did DG for Werner for a year. Werner was Okay, not great, but they never lied to me which is a big plus. DG absolutely SUCKED period. Stores were frequently not ready to recieve freight, which either you fixed, or waited for them to, and believe me, some clerk at 7.25/hr. doesn't give a ####. Rolltainers of cardboard, which you have to pick up, were a disaster that you had to fix, most of the time. When I started you put your delivery just inside the door and store staff had to take it from there, when I quit, the driver was doing everything short of putting it on the shelves for them. Rolltainers were supposed to be outside, collapsed ready for loading....yea. Stops that took 30 minutes when I started now taking 1 1/2 to 2 hours all for exactly, you guessed it, no more money. Dollar General would do nothing to discipline store managers, drivers had to pick up whatever slack they left, oh, and you better get to you deliveries timely. DO NOT take a D.G. Dedicated. My favorite was when they failed to buy rolltainers as fast as they were opening new stores and started just putting the stuff on the floor. You got to the store, loaded your stuff from the floor onto whatever empty rolltainers the store had that you could round up, took not less than four times as long all for, you guessed it, no more money. That's when I quit.

fjrgerry Thanks this.
  4. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Your best bet in that area probably is to try to get on the Chep pallet account (if they still have it) if you want to be home regularly. Probably go otr or regional if the account requires experience. I've never done DG but we've all heard the nightmare stories

fjrgerry Thanks this.
  5. fjrgerry

Dec 30, 2015
    Philadelphia suburbs
    So it appears the account is as much, or more, a factor than the trucking company when on a dedicated account.

6. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    The account is critical. Company as well. Most important above all and what it all comes down to is what goals are you trying to meet and what are you willing to do or put up with to meet them?

fjrgerry Thanks this.
  7. fjrgerry

Dec 30, 2015
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Yes, I agree - there are SO MANY things to consider. My goals are: make $60K+ ASAP (but be realistic), weekly home time at the least and more day time driving than night time. Other than that I'm pretty flexible.

8. mickeyrat

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
  9. fjrgerry

Dec 30, 2015
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Suburbs of Philadelphia near King of Prussia.

10. mickeyrat

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    Hmmm. At schneiderjobs dot com what jobs post for your zip code?

11. fjrgerry

Dec 30, 2015
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Mostly dedicated and OTR - some being team only. I'm considering dedicated and regional as well and actually have a conditional employment acceptance from them.

mickeyrat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.