How do you run? Being time efficient and working smarter.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Bozwik, Jun 22, 2022.

1. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    I don’t know how y’all do it man. The longest I’ve ever stayed out in the truck is 2 nights and I felt worse mentally than I did when I was homeless. When I was 18 I was homeless on the west coast for just under a year and I showered twice. Once in San Francisco in a shelter then noped out of there the same night bc a crackhead was hiding in the showers, waiting. Second at a local gym for $5, which I made doing card tricks. Even though my underwear were literally crusted to my butt I still felt mentally better than being in the truck for those 2 nights.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Running "hard" is not sustainable for very long. If you have any type of life or interests, they creep into your mind and must be fulfilled. You are not a machine out there, contrary to what your DM thinks.

4. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    It doesn’t cost much money not to be a filthy pig. This guy probably would stink if he was at home with plenty of time to bathe properly.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  5. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    We're going to need more details of that shower experience in TX otherwise we will just make up our own details which may or may not involve a lot lizard.

6. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    The lifestyle of those people who stay out for 2 months at a time and barely take any time off, I call that "being a homeless with chores." It doesn't matter how much money you're making, you have no life doing that.

7. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Depends on the person. I live alone so coming home to an empty house isn't any more life fulfilling than climbing into an empty sleeper at the end of the day.

It isn't for everyone and thankfully so. If everyone loved doing OTR there would be 2 year waiting lists for a company truck at Swift etc and the job in general wouldn't pay half as much as it does now

Diesel73, nredfor88, JonJon78 and 5 others Thank this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I lived in my truck for 11 months straight last year and had no problem getting a shower everyday or at least every other day . and never had a problem doing laundry on off days to get clean clothes. Any other excuse is just being a slob. And you leave a scent in the truckstop where they have to mop the floor everywhere u walk

9. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    I can verify this. And I’m anxiously awaiting the time it ends for me.

10. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    I can hardly go anywhere until I’m awake for at least an hour, so I wake up, make coffee, something for breakfast (this trip out it plan old oatmeal with some trail mix because I am trying to stay away from pastries etc)

I do prefer to start driving between 1-3 am if possible. I try and plan for 500 miles a day but that all depends on where I am going and when I need to be there.

I swore off fast food this trip also and haven’t had a bit and it feels good.

I don’t shower every day but #### a shower always feels good and like @D.Tibbitt said it makes me feel human. I do carry large towel wipes in truck if I can’t find a shower, but they are everywhere so I have to be feeling somewhat clean to pass one.
    I hate large truck stop so I hunt for Mom and pops or rest areas.

like has been said F the miles go for the money first. I have a friend who used to drive for US Express and he is baffled I sometimes only do a few hundred miles a day and always ask me why I don’t do drop and hooks Lolol. Miles is money man… I’m like dude, I do open deck, and as @Old Man say More money less miles is my motto when possible.
    My last 3 trips have been 1 night out and the one Im on now is 6 nights out. Im ready to get home tomorrow.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.