How do you watch tv?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by BruBakers, Feb 15, 2007.

1. BruBakers

BruBakers Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2007
    sorry....Newbie stupid question:

Do yall have satelitte connection, or do you just hope to get a local broadcasting channel?
    or do yall mostly just watch vhs/dvd?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Houston, Alaska
    I generally keep a few dvd's but most of the time, I just read.

4. h07w33ls

h07w33ls Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2007
    the sticker patch,Az
    i usually dont have time 4 tv. i like my laptop too much.

5. thedragon

thedragon Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Wadena, Mn
    I prefer satelite radio. I may get tempted to turn on the tube while driving, so I never got one. If need be I'll pull into a truckstop and watch it.

6. Light Traveler

Light Traveler Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Somewhere out there...
    Watch TV? Not much lately. But I did meet a driver that was watching some weather channel on his cell. He said it's called "V-Cast". I thought it was cool, until he told me how much it cost along with his monthly cell bill.

7. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    satelite 95% of the time, "regular tv" the rest.

8. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Do you have to install a satellite dish to watch sat. TV? And pay for a monthly subscription?

How do you watch regular TV in a truck? What stations do you get? I'd like to be able to watch the networks again, and watch House and CSI, etc.

9. Reby

Reby Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Springfield Oregon
    I've been looking into some of the options since Dennis started his internet TV thread. I think netflix is one of the best online options for internet tv but for normal day to day tv I think a dish would be required.

Based on what I've seen online the best method is to simply setup a temporary mounting bracket on your rear view mirror or on the back of the sleeper. You can buy some fancy RV style flat dish that auto-track the satellite but they are very expensive (imho). I think most of us would only use the TV when we were on break or waiting for a load so spending $1,500.00 on a auto-tracking dish is really not a viable option. Instead I'd suggest the normal dish they offer for homes and just drag it out and set it up when you have time to watch TV.

Anybody have a better suggestion?

-Reby

10. gypsie

gypsie Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2007
    kokomo, indiana
    we also have vcr and dvd. take along our own stuff to watch. and use idle air sometimes.

11. wc5b

wc5b Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Flint, MI
    I just have a plan just like you would at home for Direct TV. I have a PVC pipe on the mirror and stick up the dish when I am stopped somewhere for the night.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.