How does ELD work with a mixed used CMV?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Blackhawk57, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Blackhawk57

Blackhawk57 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2022
    New O/O here buying my first truck. Truck is a big sleeper and will work under my own authority with apportioned plates.

However, I want to use the truck for personal RV use to tour the country when not pulling loads. I will also be hauling my lowboy with the truck that will pull my mud truck and some dirt bikes.

I never used ELD before. How does ELD work when I'm hauling personal property? How does ELD work when after I deliver a load in TX and from TX I drive with no load booked to Cali because I want to go to the beach? I don't have a terminal to go back to like most driver's after they deliver a load. So my workday ends as soon as the load is off my trailer but I want to drive the truck for pleasure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
  4. Blackhawk57

Jul 25, 2022
    Personal Conveyance right?

So my log would look something like this as an example.

1. On duty (30 min) (At home getting ready to leave)
    2. On duty driving (100 miles/2 hours) (Going to pickup location)
    3. On duty (loading 1 hour) (At pickup location)
    4. On duty driving (100 miles/2 hours) (Going to drop off location)
    5. On duty (unloading 1 hour) (At drop off location)
    6. Off duty (PC 8 hours) (Driving to another state to visit a popular landmark)
    7. On duty (Driving to pickup a load I found nearby after visiting the landmark)
    8. Repeat 2-5.
    9. Off duty (PC 4 hours) (Driving to a different landmark)
    10. Repeat.

I just don't want to get flagged for advancing the load I believe it is called. Because I will be looking for loads based on where I am after I do my leisure activities.

5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Your going to have issues. Big time.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Blackhawk57

Jul 25, 2022
    Can you elaborate or give more detailed info?

Based on the FMCSA ruling, anything that doesn't advance a business doesn't follow HOS. The only exception to this is when returning to a terminal after dropping off a load.

In my case, I would be dropping off a load. Driving to a different place for personal non-business reasons and then returning home. I'm not talking about short trips like going to a restaurant for a meal either.

7. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    The "problem" is two fold. First, say you unload Beloit, WI and then PC to Baraboo for the circus museum, then head up to Tomah for the next load. Anyone just looking at your logs won't be able to tell the Tomah load wasn't booked until after the circus museum, thus it looks like you're "advancing the load". No matter how you slice it, you'll have hos issues. Maybe not fatal issues, but my dad taught me not to stick it in trouble.

upload_2022-7-26_18-39-50.png

The second issue you'll have is a financial one. Just to have the bobtail sit still will cost you $100 a day, minimum. Then you have the issue if getting freight to WHERE you want to go WHEN you want to be there. Either one isn't too hard, provided profits aren't the priority. To do both becomes challenging, profit margin be darned. All this is before talking about comfort/lifestyle.

In short using a cmv as an rv is a great way to go broke without seeing the country.

Using a cmv as an

8. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    With diesel at 5.50 a gallon and you want to use a CMV to sightsee all over the country?

The ELD will be the least of your worries.

Bean Jr. and Grumppy Thank this.
  9. Blackhawk57

Jul 25, 2022
    I paid for my new 2022 Kenworth W900 565 Cummins W/18sd and 55ton Kaufman in cash, no payments. $6 diesel is no issue to me. Insurance is also paid in full for 1 year up front. My only expense is fuel for the truck and my body. But thank you for your kind financial advise, I will take it into consideration.

I am full time RV'ing and part time "trucking" with this rig. I will also be taking my mud truck to various events around the county as I said in my OP. Not much difference in using a W900 or a 3-axle motorhome except the motorhome won't pull my mud truck. I figured if I have a lowboy anyway, why not haul things like excavators, loaders, etc while on my journey and when my mud truck is home.

My PC will most likely out weight my On-duty time to be honest. So how would I convey I went to the Circus museum? Just keep receipts that show I went to the museum and that my BOL was booked after the fact?

Sorry I'm not a leased Swift driver paying 20% interest on a 10 year old truck....

Bean Jr. and Chieftains Thank this.
  10. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

1. Your going to have to log your miles to pay IFTA taxes. Off highway use is different so you wouldn’t qualify for that. As it’s meant for farm vehicles being driven on property.

2. it is registered as a CMV so Log book rules still apply.

3. your going to have to go through scales no matter what. They will be asking for BOL’s no matter what.

4. You are repositioning your unit for a load, as they can claim. So ELOG rules apply.

PC as it stands is meant for going to a restaurant or maybe need to move because of an issue. So using it to drive 8 hours isn’t going go well with the DOT officer because it’s not registered as a RV.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Whatever your intention, that's backwards in the eyes of the law.
    You are driving a CMV, not an RV. As such you will be seen as a CMV by LEO's.
    Good luck convincing an officer, or even a judge that you are in fact using it for personal use. I mean you might be able to, then again you might not.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.