How Does Per Diem Mileage Pay Work?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by KayFox, Aug 12, 2021.

1. KayFox

KayFox Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2021
    So I'm currently looking at other companies. I'm currently employed with Swift and have been since I got my CDL two years ago. They aren't a bad company, I'd just like to make more money. I currently receive .48cpm with a safety/fuel bonus of 4-6cpm extra. Basically averaging $1,000 a week bring home pay. One of the companies I'm looking at is Decker. I've heard good and bad about them. They are willing to start me at .53cpm with 10 of those cents being per diem. So I guess it's .43 cpm + .10cpm per diem. I've never been paid with per diem as I don't qualify for it with Swift. What do you guys think about it? Is that more money or the same as my current situation? If it helps I average about 2500-3000 miles a week. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The per diem is non taxable and will increase your weekly paycheck. It has been discussed here many times and if you do a search you will find other threads on it. But both a pro and a con to getting paid per diem is that it does lower your taxable income. So if you get hurt or have to collect unemployment, both will be based on that lower taxable income so you would not get as much. Some have said they had problems getting loans for cars and/or houses that go by income but others day that is BS.

Bean Jr. and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Also of import, if not a 1099 owner operator as of 2019 i beleive it is, per diem does not apply to you except in very specific edge cases where the carrier has really done their homework and is fully tracking everything correctly, furthermore, in those cases, per diem will have already been figured and ther is no extra work for you to do at tax time

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  5. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    The loan thing is not necessarily b.s.; just depends. Some lenders only consider taxable, gross income (usually mortgage type loans. Mortgage outfits are ALWAYS going to verify your income. In that case, per diem *could* affect your ability to get approved.

More often than not, if you have a high credit score (750+), auto, boat, motorcycle lenders don’t verify your income. They just go off what you put on the application.

Trucker61016 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Haven't had any issues getting a mortgage and two car loans. In all instances they look at how much I actually deposit in the bank each pay period. They didn't care what I did or didn't pay taxes on.

I'm a huge fan of per diem pay. More of my money goes in my pocket and not in the government coffers. I also put a percentage of my pay in a 401K which further saves on my taxes. This will also help supplement any reduced SS payments when I retire.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  7. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I never had any issues either, but mortgage companies do NOT count non taxable income. But, to your point, in the end they care about your debt to equity ratio. That’s why it *might* affect the applicant. If someone is looking to buy a house, for example, and are on the the borderline with their debt/equity ratio, then they might consider getting off per diem until after they close to increase what the mortgage company counts as *gross taxable income*.

In mine and your case(s) our debt/equity ratio was fine even being on per diem. That’s why they didn’t give 2 squats about taxable or not.

Trucker61016 and Redtwin Thank this.
  8. trucknguy

trucknguy Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2015
    West coast
    Different thing, same name. O/O per diem allows specific write downs for material goods. Because it doesn’t apply to all drivers now, companies are allowed to set aside up to .10 a mile as not taxed and added back to pay after all other deductions.

9. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Just need to be mindful of how you are paid. Some of the short loads I run are paid by percentage and there is no per diem allowance. Makes a noticeable difference to the take home pay.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.