How far to the yard?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by wtlong88, Jun 12, 2021.

1. wtlong88

wtlong88 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Looking to go into local/ltl driving after 7 years of doing otr. I've only had two jobs in 7 years and a clean record all around so I figure I can find something.

Problem is I live in rural western NC, there are several otr companies out here but most home daily jobs are about a hour away like Winston Salem, Greensboro, Charlotte, hickory.

I was just how far some of you drive to get to work daily. Maybe I'm just being a pansy but driving a hour each way seems a little far daily.

LtlAnonymous, '88K100 and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    It is far, I ran LTL for a couple of years with a 1 hour commute each way. That beat me up big time... Couldn't take the 14 hour work days plus the 2 hour commute each day. Burnt me out.

LtlAnonymous, alds, Danny707 and 7 others Thank this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    the longest "local" job commute i had, was 35 minutes each way. and that was NOT easy driving home at 5AM after a LOOONG night making my deliveries.

if you want something bad enough, you will do it.

that's what i did...........and enjoyed my home life and family

LtlAnonymous, Puppage and wtlong88 Thank this.
  5. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    It’s not worth it, especially if you intend to do daytime P&D work, you’ll have traffic to contend with as well. I can see an argument to be made for commuting an hour for an overnight linehaul job (I know a couple of drivers who manage it), but I could never do it personally.

My commute is around 20 minutes. I could probably go as far as 30 minutes out before it becomes an annoyance. The way I look at it, even if I have a long day and need to turn on my 10, I can still go home and get a solid 7 hours of sleep with time to spare.

6. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    20-25 minutes. Straight shot down the highway. I might see 10 other vehicles on tge way in at 4 Am. An hour might be a bit much

LtlAnonymous and wtlong88 Thank this.
  7. wtlong88

wtlong88 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Thanks for the replies and yeah the thought of working a 12/14 hour overnight shift then driving a hour home just seems like it would be exhausting.

That only really leaves me with statesville, nc I know there's a few local Jobs there but I don't think any of the big money jobs are there. Funny enough US foods is using a lot less than a mile for my house for drivers to park and drop there overnight maybe I'll look into that.

8. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    My drive is about 40 minutes, maybe less during the wee hours. I don’t like it, but I would not want to live any closer to the big city where I work out of.

The good news for me is I can take my truck home any time my load takes me in that direction.

LtlAnonymous, MACK E-6 and wtlong88 Thank this.
  9. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    My house is a little over 20 minutes from the terminal, which is plenty for me. We have several drivers at my barn who commute an hour each way. As mentioned before, that sounds pretty brutal after a 12 to 14 hour day. I don't know how they do it.

Think about it in terms of total miles driven. Imagine running over 600 mi some night, but with your commute doing around 750 total. I don't care who you are, that's rough.

10. Anywhichwaybutloose

Anywhichwaybutloose Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2017
    If you look into LTL like Estes, they have drivers that are out all week. Daycab and hotels.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    30-40 minutes for me depending on traffic. That’s long enough.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.