How in the heck do I stop the bags from dumping

Discussion in 'Prime' started by dogchimp, Dec 16, 2013.

1. dogchimp

dogchimp Medium Load Member

Jan 31, 2013
    On our newer trailers, I keep running into issues with the #### bags dumping when I set the trailer brakes, causing the trailer to squat away from the dock and in some cases end up sitting to low for the dock, is there any way to control the bags with out risking tire damage by pushing the trailer back?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    Don't set the trailer brakes. It say's right on the button "NOT FOR PARKING"

4. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Your trailers are setup for an auto dump on the supply, usually there was is a manual dump on there as well in a box or back by the air tank. Be a little lever marked fill/dump. Dump the air manually out of the trailer and then hit the dock. That will eliminate the "dock walk" that you're referring to. As for the trailer height at the docks being to low the only way to solve that is to set the tractor and leave the trailer aired up. The reason trailers have dump valves is to eliminate the possibility of hyper extending a bag durning unloading. You have a fast unloading product (grain hoppers) some flatbed loads, the bags may have 80lbs of air in them when loaded and only need 10lbs empty and the control valve cannot rid the extra air fast enough. Thus causing the bags to extend and blow out. Which is where the dump comes into play. Its also on trailers to prevent them from walking when parked. If air isn't dumped and the trailer is dropped the air will eventually leak away, thus moving the trailer forward a little and putting stress on the landing gear. And over time it can make them hard to turn. Those are the 2 solutions I can come up with for you leave the trailer aired up when the dock won't line up and manually dump the air before hitting the dock to prevent dock walk.

The only other way to prevent dock walk is to pull the supply push it back in quickly hit the dock and then pull the supply again to set the trailer brakes before the bags air up.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i kind of like the feature, and i kind of don't.

i don't use the breaks when loading. but will if it's a one peace load coming off. (example)

6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    We have some that dump, and others that don't, and there is anti walking technology on those. Knowing the trailers, and the docks, I will use either to get it to work, and since it is on pallets, coming off one(very rarely two) at a time, the valves keep it from getting too high.

The trailers that dump are marked from the manufacturer to dump. I have spring brakes on both axles of this tractor, and it will hold it unless it's very slippery. Places with dock locks will also keep the trailer from rolling forward too much. I like them if they work and the dock lights are working right.

7. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    I bump the dock and set the trailer brakes, after about a minute I release trailer brakes and bump it back against the dock again and set tractor and trailer brakes.

8. rwdfinch50

rwdfinch50 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.

I like your explanation of why they dump when the brakes are set. I've pulled trailers like that before, and it's was aggravating when loading at docks with those small folding dock plates, cause the trailer drops so low it makes it hard to load, making it necessary to leave the trailer brakes released during loading.
    I never considered the overloaded air bags, and stress on the landing gear, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense.
    Thanks driver. You just taught an old dog something he didn't already know. I always said you never stop learning in this business, and your post proves it.
    Are you sure you only have one years experience? Sounds like more to me.

9. dogchimp

dogchimp Medium Load Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Haha well that's how I've been doing it either leaving the trailer aired up, or releasing the brakes and pushing it back before it airs up, I'll have to see if that box is on there

10. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    You're welcome driver. Our bull racks don't dump just automatically just have a manual dump. I've pulled a box with an auto, and flats with an auto. Personally I didn't like the auto dump. I prefer to manually dump my air but that just me. I'm sure they made auto dump valves because somewhere down the line somebody has blown bags and somebody got smart and decided to patent the idea and is now living in Tahiti lol.

And the profile is correct. Got my CDL learners in may of 2012. I learned what I have from spending hours researching and reading posts from drivers like yourself. I agree with you and my dad has said that numerous tikes that the day you quit learning is the day you need to quit driving. my dads been out here almost as long as you have. I picked up a thing or too or tried to at least. Taught him a few things too.

I believe the rookies like myself can learn a lot from the veterans out there like yourself and maybe you veterans can learn a few things from rookies like myself. that's just my belief on the matter. If it wasn't for drivers like yourself I wouldn't know what I posted. So thank you for and driver like you with your amount of experience for helping drivers like me. It's appreciated!!!

Fatboy42 Thanks this.
  11. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    We have a few flatbed trailers that tried to prevent the bags over-extending by putting a strap lengthways around the shock absorber. Didn't work to well. We just ended up with the straps breaking, dangling under the trailer, and needing repaired. Next group of trailers have the auto dump. We seldom bump docks or have fast unload freight so it really shouldn't have been an issue anyways. Seems they could make the leveling valves vent a tad faster to fix the issue.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.