How is it that SWIFT manages to wreck so many trucks?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by striker, Oct 17, 2011.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    For the last 8 mos., I've been running US160 in SW. Colorado every 2 weeks. There is a wrecker service on 160 E. of Pagosa Springs, they currently have 5 wrecked SWIFT trucks/trailers in their lot. Two of the wrecks are just trailers, one rolled and burned and one just rolled. They have two more that are cab/trailer, and one that is just the cab. All of these have happened this year, and 4 of 5 since May. The really scarry part, 3 of 4 have occured since they started construction in June and lowered the speed limit to 25 mph for all trucks in the construction zone, and 35 mph for all trucks outside the construction zone. The most recent one happened between Noon Monday and 6 am Saturday, this one appears to have hit something with the cab and then rolled.

What gives? Are SWIFT drivers just that incompetent? Talked to a state trooper on Wolf Creek Sat. afternoon who told me that they are looking at taking a ZERO tolerance approach to SWIFT in the coming months, including random traffic stops/inspections of all SWIFT trucks on 160, especially those heading WB before Wolf Creek, and possibly a statewide crackdown on them. I've also noticed quite a few SWIFT trucks in other wrecker yards in recent months, a friend runs the heavy wrecker for a company here Denver, he said they average 3 call outs a week that return to SWIFT Denver or the lot pending police investigation.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    What do you expect from a company that is about quantity and not quality drivers ?

biker dave Thanks this.
  4. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    16,000 trucks.

You might see more of them in wrecking yards because you see more of them on the road.

And.....how are those elogs working out? Wonder how many were racing those infernal things...

dave26027, DenaliDad, sal and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Cudascious

Cudascious Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2011
    New Mexico
    You see more wrecked swift trucks probably because of the large quantity of drivers like Injun said. So the ratio will be larger and chances are it will be a swift truck. Most of the swift trucks I encounter are handled pretty well, they seem to have a large number of good drivers as well. :)

Colorado is just BS anyway. I cant stand that state for truck driving.

6. djtrype

djtrype Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    When I had a student ditch a trailer tandem in Superior, AZ I had to go back to the towing company's office to finish the paperwork and he had pictures lining the entire front of his desk. About ~50% of the pictures were of Swift trucks being towed and/or wrecked. I made a comment about it and his wife replied, "If it wasn't for Swift, we'd of been out of business a long time ago."

7. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I see these numbers thrown out all the time. "Swift has this or that."

Swift isn't the only large company, and they're certainly not the only one that has a lot of wrecked trucks. But you sure see larger number of wrecked trucks from Swift.

E-logs.... with Swift is laughable. Especially since they can't spell Lagistix (logistics) :biggrin_2559:

8. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

If the local gendarmes or staties notice have a compliance or safety issue with one company or the other, they should increase surveillance. It will only help the compliant, safe operators. And Wolf Creek Pass is no place to have a speeding, out-of-control truck as a close neighbor.

9. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    I could careless if they have a 1000 or 16000 trucks. I stand by what I said earlier. Swift is about quantity of trucks and cheap rates. Quality of drivers is not in their vocabulary. I've seen it first hand.

The Challenger, biker dave and KE5WDP Thank this.
  10. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    I thought you were a driver when you were at Swift.

Did you work in Customer Service, too?

inkeper Thanks this.
  11. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    I agree with you to a certain extent. On the number of trucks and cheap rates you are spot on RT. However,I would say Swift has gotten a little bit better. Their safe stat ratings prove that.

KH

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.