How long after getting hires can I expect a check, broke as a bloke

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by elamigowapo, Sep 19, 2018.

1. elamigowapo

elamigowapo Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Im going through somewhat of a hardship rn, Im contemplating getting a cdl license, how soon after graduating could I expect to start seeing money?? Thank you.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location?

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That is one of the problems. Flat newbies to the industry end up with bottom feeder megas because they need money. That will hurt you in the long run. You can work with your state's rehabilitation board who will keep a list of "Friendly" Companies ready to put you to work as soon you have a CDL, get the necessary endorsements (Hazmat takes on personal interview with TSA/Homeland threat assessment and a decision rendered within two months to you before you can put that on the license. then you have other things like TWIC, Fast Card, Passport etc.

One time I did dishes for Long Johns in Maryland for 4 months every night until I raised over a thousand cash for the next trucking company. Not being broke was very important in having savings on hand and not borrowing money. Payroll takes care of itself.

5. elamigowapo

Apr 18, 2017
    Im in Las Vegas

6. elamigowapo

Apr 18, 2017
    What are the chances of working for a smaller company? I have a pretty good resume and am not one of those people that are constantly changing jobs and struggling meaning I consider my self responsible and competent.

x1Heavy and JudahMourn Thank this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    In your case I would say the first pay period after you get on the trainers truck. In a bad hardship your carrier might advance you a C note or 2.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you go to Prime Inc. in Salt Lake City, you can get pay advances until your first check. Not sure, but think it's $200 weekly in pay advances. You'll get meals and lodging free though. I think you get something like $750 or $800 training pay after you hit the road with our trainer, then they start taking some out of that weekly to repay the pay advances you took.
    I'm not sure exactly on those amounts, but it's pretty close.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    4 weeks after you get your CDL. Sometimes in 2, but 4 is what I am seeing.

Why don't you work locally, companies are begging for workers all over the place.

x1Heavy, TripleSix and elamigowapo Thank this.
  10. elamigowapo

Apr 18, 2017
    They get you a cdl?

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.