How long after getting hires can I expect a check, broke as a bloke

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by elamigowapo, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Give it about ten years. Than expect pay to be what it should be.
    Or you will say forget it all.

elamigowapo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dixiegypsy

Dixiegypsy Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2018
    I chose to go with PAM. They sponsored me for my CDL and have been a good company to work for. I would recommend it. While I was in school I met a guy that want to the unemployment office and they paid for his cdl. Maybe that's something to look into. I don't like much of what I've heard about swift or Werner. PTL sounds like a good company too

elamigowapo Thanks this.
  4. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    I'm not sure what arrangements the SLC Prime has for students, but the Springfield MO terminal has Campus Inn they use for students. He drove company for a year, but came over from a different company where he had leased. He has been thereabout 4 1/2 yrs now and has leased about 3 1/2 yrs with them.

Fleet managers make or break a good company and his has been great. She has gone above and beyond sometimes. Some of the fill ins have been so-so, but that is the way it goes. On the company side there were about three that were really good. They most generally leave you alone. Company side follows the routes sent. Most loads sent have the provided last few mile directions that you can request.

You will need to have a mailing address where someone can get your mail for CDL purposes, so this makes it hard to just packup and get rid of everything you own. You might want to track down some of the Prime pages on here too.

elamigowapo and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. elamigowapo

elamigowapo Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2017

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    When I went through orientation at Swift, as normal about half the class were gone by hire date. One guy in particular I remember. All he owned was in an old, beat up pickup truck. He was homeless.

The night after orientation finished he planned to sleep in the bed of his pickup truck under the stars, as he had been doing for months before entering the CDL school, to wait for a trainer. I met him again at the terminal about six months later. He was for the first time in years putting money in the bank.

I don't know what his background was or why he ended up living on the streets. He turned his life around because he was motivated to work.

As a fleet owner you probably have had more than a few hires that you regret. I understand that completely. I don't think the OP falls close to that category. I smell the strong urge to work.

7. elamigowapo

Apr 18, 2017
    Thanks and yes I mentioned earlier Ive always held a job since 17 im 26 now I make 18.45 at my current job but only get 3-4 days a week lately. Im looking for more than a job but a lifelong career and believe trucking is for me. Right now I dont have anything saved up the only asset I have is the equity on my house.

NavigatorWife and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. elamigowapo

Apr 18, 2017
    Melton’s seems like a solid company to work for and offers tuition reimbursement

Truckermania Thanks this.
  9. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    @IluvCATS worked for them until recently. It is a good company to start with for flatbed as far as I can tell.

10. elamigowapo

Apr 18, 2017
    Seems like the pay is pretty good plus 50$ for tarping a load

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  11. elamigowapo

Apr 18, 2017
    One question I have is does the company you are shipping for provide the tarp or does the trucking company provide it? Just seems like there are so many kinds of loads that youd need an array of tarps to suit all of them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.