How long can you store semi battery for ?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Roman78, May 26, 2021.

1. Roman78

Roman78 Light Load Member

May 20, 2021
    How long can you store semi battery for And will t go bad. ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Depends on the brand,,,I just had a ENERGIZER battery last 10 years,,,used only 4 months of the year.
    STORING ON A BOARD IS A MYTH, HAS NO EFFECT

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hey, batteries aren't cheap anymore, with car batteries going for over $100 bucks for the cheapest ones. I'd get one of those battery tenders for $20 bucks.

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    no exact life span can ever be given, only what some people have experienced.

keep it clean, keep the fluid level up by using distilled water, (if it has removable caps), keep it in a cool dry place, keep a Battery Tender (aka a trickle charger). i'd keep it off the garage floor, the concrete absorbs the outside temps, carries it across the floor, I KNOW THAT from my garage days. keep it up on a work bench, or shelf unit.

no 2 batteries from even the same manufacturer will have any guaranteed life span, when not in use, or in service.

bzinger, Rideandrepair and Roman78 Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Let me tell you MY battery story ( hey, gather 'round, an old timer is talking) This was many years ago,( early 80's) and not sure it's the same today, but how different could it be. I was dispatched to pick up a load of lead bars from Herculeneum, Mo. ( south of St. Louis) going to Globe Union in Milwaukee, the then biggest maker of lead/acid batteries. I get to the place, weird town, no grass or trees, they wouldn't let you away from the dock, this guy brings out 7 "bundles" of ingots. Puts 4 in the front, big space, and the 3 remaining in the back, which I had to nail to the floor. I said, "that's it"? He said, well, you got 44,000 there. Who would have thought lead was so heavy. So I get to Milwaukee, the guy says, be right there, and I'm noticing all these empty battery casings on the dock. They were all there, Texaco, Standard, even DieHard. I said, what's the deal here, the guy said, get your best deal on a battery, inside, they are all the same, with proper rating, of course.

Roman78 and bzinger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.