How long did you stay at starter company as a driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by KeepONTruckin214, Nov 10, 2018.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I stayed at my first company 15 months. I stayed at second company 2 years until they were bought out by Old Dominion. I stayed at my third job 18 years until I got so freaking bored I had to leave. I've been with my fourth company almost 1.5 years. I don't have plans to leave.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I always noticed a difference in attitude with the drivers running west. Even to get a service done at the Fontana yard was quick as opposed to Birmingham or Nashville.

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  4. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    A buddy just had a PM B done at the new Bloomington yard. From when he pulled in till his truck was done was about 3 hours. I take mine in soon so I’m hoping for that. I told my DM if he needed me to he could slip seat me into something and I’d run local stuff in LA. He said PM B are about 3-4 hours, but was appreciative of the offer.

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    See you have the scratch my back I'll scratch yours attitude. A PM in anywhere else would be about that. Fort Dodge, IA was always cool. I remember one time while I was waiting, I ordered a pizza and it was charged to the company's account without me knowing. They caught on to that quickly though hahaha

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Western Express trucks are DOT magnets around these parts. I see them running up and down US-13 a lot and the scales always have one of them pulled on the lot.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I love following Western Express into the scale house. It reduces the chance they will pull me in.

Dan.S, BlueThunderr, speedyk and 3 others Thank this.
  8. otterinthewater

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Hahahaha!!!

bryan21384 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. otterinthewater

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I can believe it. I went down to the yard to scope it out before I called a recruiter. I saw a mess of ####ed up trucks, but they’ve been making a concerted effort to clean up. I know they removed something like 50 trainers, all the old trailers are getting sold and replaced by new ones. I love pulling brand new trailers. Almost every time I go to the yard I’m surprised by all the new shiny trucks. Mostly new Prostars, some new freightliners and a few new Volvo 760’s. I go my hand up first for a Volvo...next one that comes should be mine. Probably not, but I’m hopeful. They gave me a brand new Prostar 3-4 months ago.

Out west it doesn’t look like the old Convict/welfare express as much anymore. Younger less beat down drivers, and people that seem to want to drive/career, not as much as it’s there last hope as human.

They get me +3000 miles a week, let me do my tens or 34’s at my house when I’m near it, but most importantly they leave me alone. I go weeks without a call from them. I get preplans and load assignments, route and fuel solutions and a daily safety message, that’s about it. Oh and the direct deposit always goes through the night before.

Ya the CPM sucks for long hauls, but I’m ok with it. It’s my starter company and a man has to start somewhere.

bryan21384 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    I was considering jumping fence at six months for more money and had a conversion with my dm about other opportunities instead.

He came through with 3 dedicated choices ranging from 45 to 60k potential within a few days.

Now it's home 2.5 days a week. I took the low number for 100% drop n hook and huge appointment windows because i'm lazy.

Point being, large outfits will by nature have more choices available in freight and route. Trying to see the bright side here. My mega ain't half bad so far. The new truck helps too.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. VantaiTatted

VantaiTatted Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maryland
    About a year, I got my CDL with Pepsi.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.