How long does it take to build up OTR stamina?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CSDixon, Feb 23, 2017.

1. CSDixon

CSDixon Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Denver CO
    Just starting out as a new driver, I imagine myself needing a power nap after 3 or 4 hours of driving (especially at night, when I plan to drive). How long did it take you to build your stamina (keep the left door closed) to drive 8, 10, 11 hours straight (not to mention off-duty tasks). Everyone is different. Just looking for an average I guess. Oh! And did you build it up without coffee or energy drinks? How long did it take?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Boattlebot

Boattlebot Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Don't do what I did. I had to drive vampire shifts for a few days and wound up drinking 2 or 3 big monsters a night after about a week of that I freaked out. Wasent pretty.

My ideal shift is late morning to 2 or 3 am.

Didn't really take me to long to build my stamina tho. Just pure vampire kicks my ###.

4. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Sidebar boat,... i tagged you in a great thread over in the (achem) other area.... you were looking for music....

(Sorry op)

Shock Therapy and Boattlebot Thank this.
  5. Boattlebot

Aug 7, 2016
    Can't find the notification or thread. Pm me the link

6. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I stopped every few hours anyway, walk around for a few minutes and stretch.
    You rarely need to actually drive for 8hrs straight if you plan correctly, and stopping to take a quick break will wake you up.

7. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Unless you go in and put in your password, its hidden. Once you put it in, it will show on your notification list

Boattlebot Thanks this.
  8. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    On topic, its different for everyone. Some people get right into it, and some have to drive during the day...

9. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I'm a solar powered trucker, once the sun goes down I hit a wall and start getting tired quick. But I always drive took my clock dings that I got 1 hour left. That's when I start looking. Took me about a month before I was able to consistently knock out over 600 miles on my 11.

x1Heavy and CSDixon Thank this.
  10. Boattlebot

Aug 7, 2016
    Yea your find your stride. I'm half way between solar powered and vampire. Works best for me.

Gunner75 Thanks this.
  11. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    i stop every few hrs to smell the roses, im not interested in seeing how many hrs i can drive straight, that "keep the left door shut" saying is for super truckers, they can have it. the only thing ive built up is arthritus in my back

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.