How long should i drive for my first company?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cdavis188, Sep 3, 2021.

1. cdavis188

cdavis188 Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Salina, KS
    Hello all, I've only been driving for 3 months and a question keeps popping up. How much experience should I reasonably get before I start looking at other carriers? Schneider is a decent company for me but I don't see myself staying long term here. My classroom instructor at the truck driving school i went to said that even if you don't particularly care for your company, you should stay with them for at least a year. Is this good advice? Or should I start looking for something sooner than that?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Yes.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    One year. The other starter companies are the same BS with a different name on the door.

Job hopping will cripple you.

Cannot emphasize enough stay put for a year.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Well, my opinion is different about that. Some companies only want 3 mos. experience.
    My opinion is, if you know what you want and a company offers what you want and you have the required experience for that company, then change companies.

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    If your Schneider van, see about swapping to tankers, same company, may like it better, if tank swap to van.

7. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    This is great advice , in fact try flatbed too if they let you
    Your biggest concern right now is learning the trade.
    Learn as much as you can and make yourself more valuable

Val_Caldera and OldeSkool Thank this.
  8. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Stick with the pumpkin. Like other said go ahead switch to something else within Schneider. At two years You can walk into a place making big bucks. If you live near Wisconsin Kwiktrip might take ya at one year. Home every night and good money.

2Tap and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  9. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    What happens if you jump ship and the new job doesn't work out? As a new driver with no experience you could have two or more jobs in less than a year on your application. That will close a lot of doors for you and your options will only get worse after that.

Look at sticking around for a year as insurance. If things don't work out on your next job you'll have a year of experience with one employer to show potential employers instead of two (or more) jobs in 6 months.

While there are good jobs out there that will hire with less than a year of experience unless you know someone who works for the company willing to vouch for them I wouldn't risk it. There are A LOT MORE terrible companies that will chew you up and spit you out. Fuel card declined and forced to buy your own diesel? Been there. Hired to run Utah but only dispatched to Mexico's Gay District? Done that. Hired for linehaul but offfered P&D after orientation because a more experienced driver applied for the the linehaul job while you were in orientation? Got the souvenir t-shirt. I was able to bounce back from these in-n-out jobs because I spent 2 years with my first employer. With less than a year of experience you probably won't be so lucky.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    asphaltreptile311 Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    FedEx Freight City Driver
    $20.70 an hour - Full-time, Apprenticeship
    • Must possess a class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or a commercial learning permit (CLP) prior to entering job classification
    ~
    FedEx Freight Road Driver
    $.69 cpm
    • Must possess a class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with double/triple, hazardous materials and tank endorsements. Automatic transmission CDL restriction allowed.
    • Must possess 1 year experience within most recent 3 years, OR successful completion of FedEx Freight Driver Development Course
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.