How long will oilfield truck driver jobs last?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by 439530, Jun 28, 2013.

1. 439530

439530 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2013
    San Antonio
    I am new to the industry, I am currently in a CDL school at this time. My goal is to go into the oilfield with a CDL (Eagle Ford Shale). However, I was watching a youtube video of marathon oil and the fracking process. It says that the first step is Drilling, the second is fracturing, and the third is production. My question is, if it only takes a short while to fracture a well which requires water haulers, sand, etc CDL guys, after which is the production stage, it seems there aren't any CDL guys anymore at the wellsite. I understand that the oil and natural gas production outlook looks great, but what about the haulers and CDL guys? Am I wrong to assume therefore that the oilfield wont need CDL haulers once every well site has reached the production stage? And if so, how long will this truck driver boom last? Thanks for answering.

kevin7845 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Me99

Me99 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2011
    You need more trucks during the production phase than any other phase. Water and oil are pumped out of the well and into production tanks. Some leases pipeline it from there but most places hire trucks to haul it off. In the beginning you can get as many as 50 loads from a well in 24 hrs and eventually it will slow down to one load every few weeks. There will be oilfield driving jobs for another 50 years.

kevin7845 Thanks this.
  4. 439530

439530 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2013
    San Antonio
    Thank you for your reply. I want to eventually become a o/o hauling crude. I would hopefully like to start off with FFE but my school has good connections (Goodwill Career Academy) with some local water haulers that can get me started. So, ill see.

5. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    That's what they said about the coal industry, now it's on it's last leg, soon to be gone forever.

6. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Steer clear of FFE. They are 1st class cheese eating rats. Near the bottom of the barrel.

439530 Thanks this.
  7. 439530

439530 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2013
    San Antonio
    Thanks for all of your responses thus far. In regards to FFE who would you recommend instead. Ill take almost anything.

8. tkcaudill89

tkcaudill89 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Texas
    There a lot of company's out side of SA looking for drivers like crazy not too bad to with 11 days out 4 in .

439530 Thanks this.
  9. Ben Gunn

Ben Gunn Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Forgotten Coast
    I can tell you from first hand experience that it's MUCH easier to get a job as a newbie in the Permian Basin than it is in the Eagle Ford. The Permian has a higher demand, probably because fewer people want to live there.

I knew someone that left my old yard for FFE in Midland. He came crawling back with his tail between his legs after two weeks, so heed Big Duker's advice.

439530 Thanks this.
  10. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    What town? What you wanna do. Work more or drive more? If I was under 30-40 would get on with frac/coiled tubing/etc. Learn the trade and make a lot more while your body is willing to do it. Sock it away and then have more choices later in life. Lot of us threatened to go work on Alaska pipeline yrs ago. Couple of friends did. Set for life before age 35.
    If you want to drive water is probably easiest to get into. Get a yr or so and keep eyes open for crude/chemicals etc. I just quit my sand hauling job yesterday. Got offer to haul fuel around DFW area. Willing to train as I have good record, HAZ/TWIC etc. Lots of jobs in W Oklahoma not too many discuss. N TX is starting to pop with crude as they go back and frac older wells and drill new ones. Gold Star has trucks running all up/down287/199 others.

11. 439530

439530 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2013
    San Antonio
    I still want to learn wireline coiled tubing cementing etc I wanna learn it all. I want more work anywhere ND OK except CO I'm terrified of falling of a mountain.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.