How Many Brokers is Too Many to Have?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by PE_T, Nov 30, 2018.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

So right now I only have 4 brokers, but only two of those I use regularly. I do plan on applying to other brokers who have more freight in my areas and also have higher paying freight.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DieselDrivinDaddy

DieselDrivinDaddy Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    As many as it takes to make the most profit per mile to my truck.

I’ve hauled the same load from point A to point B for multiple brokers multiple times. Broker 1 may not have one today, but one of the others will.

I’ve worked with about 40 different brokers this year. Many of those I have worked with more than once, some I will never work with again.

4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    be sure to throw some work towards ALL your brokers, so they don;t forget who da heck you are.

Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    How could you have too many brokers? That's like Wal-Mart wondering if too many people come in the door.

7. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    If Sam only knew...

Rideandrepair and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    However loss prevention sure can finger the ones who escaped with the goods.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    If all you plan on doing is work exclusively with brokers- Boy, You're gonna have over 100 brokers on your invoicing program over time assuming you "Stick" with this and don't give up like 90% of other failed 1 truck wonders do (They'll make it 6 months or a year)...

You'll Never get away with just a handful... Especially If you run the Road.

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It’s so much easier to set up with a new Broker for Me these days. Used to be a big fax hassle. Now just a few clicks and a couple e mails.Just emptied out on a Landstar Load.I had just about written them off.Best 2 day revenue all year. I prefer to work Consistent with Same ones. Best to stay flexible though as it’s too easy to get complacent.What started out as a day without my regular load out turned into a last minute booking that was much more profitable.

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    That's akin to asking me, as a broker, how many carriers is too many. We're set up with something like over five thousand, if memory serves. Some of us have folks we like dealing with in particular, but there's definitely times I can't use my "regulars". Or, one step further, how many customers is too many. There'll consequently be times you can't rely on your regular brokers, either. Best to not limit yourself. Customers are customers, after all.

Thouren, KDT, PE_T and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.