How many drivers bring pets on the road with them (advice needed)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by IMSAkid, Jun 26, 2011.

1. IMSAkid

IMSAkid Light Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Downingtown pa
    Quick question for you guys. I'm about to test out of my training and get my own truck. I was thinking of getting a small dog to come on the road with me. I have a German shepherd but shes a little to big to be in a truck and shes more of less used to being home a lot. I was thinking of something like a bull terrier or something like that. Do any of you bring your pets on the road? how are they in the truck? I wanted to get a puppy so it gets used to being in a truck. I cant bring a cat because I'm allergic to them. But what do you all think. any experiences?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mdbluecrab

Mdbluecrab <b>Crusty Crab</b>

Feb 4, 2010
    White Plains, Maryland
    Years ago, my German Shepherd was raised in an IH c/o and had no problems. He loved it and was a great companion.
    Buy one of those little cigg. lighter plug in vacums...dogs shed. Good luck.

TGUNKEL Thanks this.
  4. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    you really need to check company policies regarding pets and ADHERE to them. then a puppy WILL NEED regular breaks to "relieve itself", which YOU TOO can benefit from.

if you get another pet, remember the one you have at home and jealousy between the two. the other one may do things at home to "get even" with you.

there very well may be a "pet deposit" to pay. there may be additional charges ABOVE what you pay if the dog wrecks the truck, like chewing on the interior, which a puppy very well is known to do. you cannot watch that puppy all the time.

i'd suggest a stuffed animal...no feedings, no waterings, no walking, no messes........

5. Mdbluecrab

Mdbluecrab <b>Crusty Crab</b>

Feb 4, 2010
    White Plains, Maryland
    I had to respond to this. Good points rerun but nothing wrong with having a dog ride along with you. Just be prepared for frequent stops to walk/run the dog and to relieve itself...in any and all kinds of weather.
    If you do take a dog with you, remember, it's got to be about him/her. A lot of training is involved in having the dog letting you know when it has to "go" and also teaching the dog to be able to "hold it" when neccesary. It's like raising a baby and it can take weeks or even months before they are trained to ride.
    German Shepherds are very smart and adaptable. I had my share of Doggy problems for a few weeks but he was a pro at it for the next 12 years and I still miss him to this day.
    I have 2 dogs at home. A German Shepherd and a mixed Chow/Huskie/Lab. A few weeks ago, I took my German Shepherd with me on a run. My Mixed (Tootsie) was so depressed, she layed and cried almost the entire 2 days we were gone. Broke my heart. Needless to say, I'll never do that again. I stated this because like rerun said, jealousy can raise it's ugly head with dogs. If your Shepherd see's you giving your new companion more attention and taking him/her with you all the time, you'll more than likely suffer the consequences, creating a situation of getting rid of one or the other.
    Good luck in whatever you decide.

6. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    If you want a pet with you, make sure your company allows them, as Rerun posted. Be aware of the pro's and con's. Get a non-shedder if possible.
    With that said...
    dawg.jpg

7. Reverend Blair

Reverend Blair Light Load Member

May 30, 2011
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have a friend who has a cat that travels with him. It's lived in the truck since it was just a kitten...he found it at a truck stop. It's missing one eye, and its ears froze off. That's how he found it, mostly starved and in bad shape.

It's about 3 years old now, and even when he's home it lives in the truck...never goes out.

He's an owner/operator though, so no company rules about it.

asphaltcowboy4x4 Thanks this.
  8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I've got an 85+ pound mutt that rides with me every day....in a day cab. He does alright....pays better attention to what's going on & where we're at than most drivers, and most importantly he's got my back. You won't sneak up behind me while he's around.

I don't run near as hard as I used to...gotta let him out from time to time. Also, I've found driving to be less stressful...I've got the road ragingest pooch you'll ever meet, and when he gets to barking and carrying on at some knucklehead, I can't help but laugh.:biggrin_2559:

...but if you REALLY want to see him mad, though, put on a police uniform and pull us over...growling, barking, hair standing up on end....:biggrin_2555:

If you are going to have a pet in the truck, make sure the owner of the truck allows it....otherwise, it will probably cost you your job.

asphaltcowboy4x4 and Mdbluecrab Thank this.
  9. IMSAkid

IMSAkid Light Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Downingtown pa
    I work for Werner they do have a Fee to having a truckin pup but i dont think it would be bad to bring a friend on the road with me. I know my girlfriend couldent stand a day being stuck in a truck and we would most likely be at each others throats before the haul was finished so i figured why not get a dog. seein as how some of you guys bring big dogs with you i might even see about another German Shepherd . I love mine and she is a great dog but i dont think she would like being in a truck... get one as a pup so it gets used to it and enjoys it.

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I took my beagle/mix with me OTR for a few years. I wouldn't go back OTR unless I could bring a pet. My dog was about 20-25 lbs. That seemed to be perfect size. She could jump into/out of truck without help. She didn't take up much room.

First advice, if your company doesn't allow pets, don't take a pet. You will get found out. I'm not sure if you are going to be owner-operator or company driver. All it takes to get found out you are sneaking a pet in the truck is another company driver asking your company to take their pet because they saw your per. Or you will be found out when your truck breaks on the road and shop won't allow pets in their driver lounge or a customer won't allow a pet on their property. Or you could get in a minor accident and your pet factors into a report or you have a medical emergency. You could have a long layover where pets are not welcome. YOU WILL BE DISCOVERED, don't think you won't.

Second advice, the pet is ALWAYS on a leash before the truck door is opened. A pet that is partially run over is a real problem.

Third advice, don't encourage dog to jump into and out of truck as that makes their hips/shoulders get arthritis more quickly.

I'd recommend a dog over age 2, or beyond their chewing stage. Otherwise the dog will be perfectly happy to ride on the bunk all day.

Take a 1-2 gallon pump-up garden sprayer. Murphy's Law dictates your dog will get into some terrible filth and you will need a way to clean the dog. Remember the leash, no exceptions.

Despite what you hear, having a pet does not exempt you from anti0idle regulations. If you go to California you will have locals worried that your pet is overheating even when the weather is 65 deg and the truck is idling and A/C is working. Those people may not care if they invite every criminal into their state but they are constantly worried that a pet somewhere is having a less than optimal life.

Probably only 10% of trucking company allows pets to ride along. The only word you can accept about a company allowing pets is from Safety or Risk Mgmt. Most reports you get that Company X allows pets is from a driver seeing a pet in a truck from Company X, most of these sightings are for contraband pets.

11. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    You can get on these other truck affiliate websites and many have companies listed out with a coluum, pet friendly, yes or no. Even company website advertise.
    Also, most will keep your pet deposit whether the truck is spotless or not. I always paid it, but one could find a pet friendly company and not say anything. There ain't no pet police verifying deposits after orientation. My last company kept my $1000 even though the truck was thoroughly cleaned and shampooed. It's one of them no win situations. You can take pictures all you want. They'll just tell the courts it had an odor. So plan on kissing your deposit money goodbye.

tscottme, my two little dogs 9 and 10, never had a leash on them. They listen to commands and stay right with me. They never been a problem in their 7 years on the road. They walk by my heals to the back of the trailer and back to the door. It depends on the type dog and how you train it. I can let them out the front door now unsupervised and they won't leave the yard. Even if another dog walks down the road or they chase something out of the yard, they know their boundries. You can always tell city from country when it comes to leash laws. I understand most dogs need restrained. I'm just sayin.

If they ever had to go to the bathroom, one would hold her ears back. The other one would look at me and shake. I knew then I had about 5-10 minutes to pull over.

BigJohn54 and Gears Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.