How many miles a week will I be able to do?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by YOUNGSTER, Dec 25, 2010.

1. YOUNGSTER

YOUNGSTER Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Driving otr, how many miles a week will i be able to do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    That will depend on you, your dispatcher, your planner and the available freight. All thing perfect 2500-3000; however, only our God, his Son and the Holy Spirit are perfect.

YOUNGSTER Thanks this.
  4. YOUNGSTER

YOUNGSTER Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    So 2500 is pretty good?

5. Mattkujata

Mattkujata Medium Load Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm told by the company I'm getting ready to sign on with that they try to get their new drivers between 2100 and 2300 miles a week.

I'd be happy with 2500 a week consistently, but like Celtic Wolf said, nothing is perfect. I'd call 2500 a good week as a new driver.

At $.30 / mile, that's $750 gross for the week. I'll gladly take that my whole first year. :) Though, Roehls pay scale says they increase it from $.30 - $.36 / mile over the course of the first year.

6. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

It depends on how you run and who you work for...2500 is about average for a OTR driver, thats what most companies promise and or try to keep there trucks at, I know for the company I work for we have drivers getting 4000 a week (not every week) but still. My last two weeks were 3300miles and 3500 miles.....Pick your company wisely!

American Trucker

7. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

So I would assume that a team would average 5000 miles then??

8. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    teams should be more then that at least 6,000, good companies for teams give there teams long runs and lots of drop and hooks so most of there 70's are spent behind the wheel, not sitting at customers...

American Trucker

9. kwforage

kwforage Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Wisconsin
    WOW! Really? Is this what most OTR drivers are happy with? I have never driven OTR so I have no idea, please elighten me if I'm wrong, but that is definetly not worth it in my opinion to be out on the road sleeping in a truck 6-7 nights a week. No offense to anyone here but I could make more than that hauling milk around here 5-6 days a week and sleep in my own bed every night.

REDD and lobes1985 Thank this.
  10. walstib

walstib Darkstar

It also depends on how fast your truck will go, if governed...If you drove all 70hrs(in a perfect world) and you're governed at 60mph you'd get 4200 miles max, if you're governed at 65mph, you could get 4550 max(that could be over a $5K swing/yr)...You may find the best pay doesn't always equate to the best company or best miles, choose wisely!...I chose what I thought was the best company over the best pay and have no complaints along with averaging around 3000 miles a week...

11. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville

and who fuels the truck? Inspects the truck? Loads & unloads? Even if you do a drop & hook you need to be on line 4 for a little while.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.