How many of you guys are writing damage on gate passes?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Terry270, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    I stopped a few years back, due to Manheim attempting to screw me(maybe). Picked up a van at one of their locations that had been backed into, broken taillight and pushed in rear quarter, I knew it was fresh due to red glass laying on the ground. So I snapped a pic of it in addition to writing it on the gate pass. Deliver to dealer next day, tell him that I wrote the damage on gate pass as well as took pictures, I leave. Near the end of the day dealer calls me back, says Manheim can't find the gate pass(likely story) and can I email him the picture. I do and Manheim covers the repair.
    Ever since then the only thing I write on gate pass is if I'm hauling an expensive car and it has only one key fob, I write down "one key fob" on gate pass and snap a pic of the gate pass lol. I take detailed pictures of all vehicles I touch.

Well the other day I pick up a load from Manheim and one of the vehicles had a pushed in rear quarter and bumper damage. Take my pictures as usual, load them up and roll out. Dealer calls me later asking for the pictures of the one Jeep and I email them to him. He calls me back the next morning telling me that Manheim is saying that the damage is on me because I didn't write anything on the gate pass! I get the contact info for the lady and give her a call, yup she tells me the same thing. Said that is their policy and my pictures don't hold any weight. I laughed at her and told her that I don't give a #### about their stupid policy, common sense rules here and I have pictures of the vehicle before I touched it, sitting on their property and if they think they have a case knock themselves out and take me to court.

Long story short it's been a couple days but the dealer calls me today and tells me Manheim is paying out. He has been on my side through the whole thing and he has given Manheim more hell than I have. Threatened to not do business with them anymore, etc. Has anyone else been through something like this?

Tall Mike, LBZ, sawmill and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nobroker

Nobroker Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    I always mark the gate pass if you don't you can only pray they lose it. Some customers have no clue what they buy . I picked up a 2016 Porsche with a bent wheel side wall of tire blown out and a dent in the fender so I went in the office to make sure it was described in the listing and they show the photo and discription in the listing. When I delivers it the dealer acted like I did it and I told him he needs to read the listing before buying 85k cars.

4. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Picked up a Cadillac SUV a few months back with a crack in the windshield. When I dropped it off the dealer actually went to his computer to check the gate pass; good thing I noted the damage on the pass. I think he wanted to get a free repair and stick someone else with the bill. My notes on the gate pass, plus the pictures I took, ensured he wasn't getting a free ride this time.

KANSAS TRANSIT and Tall Mike Thank this.
  5. Terry270

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    What happens when the auction says they lost the gate pass though?

6. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    That's why I back up any damage notes with good pictures. I always try to photograph the vehicle showing the surrounding area of the pickup location before getting closeups.

A fellow car hauler I know uses a Go-Pro camera to do the same thing; I'm thinking about maybe doing the same, if the company will allow it.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I used to have a scanner/copier in the truck (for other purposes). I wonder if scanning or copying the gate pass (or making a photo of it with your smartphone) might not be a bad idea...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  7. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    CYA, man - gate pass, pics, whatever other measures you can... You know that it's always someone (our!) elses fault. Count on that. :-/

Tall Mike, Terry270 and tech10171968 Thank this.
  8. CruisingAlong

CruisingAlong Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    I use "FAST SCANNER : FREE PDF scan tool " on my phone to record things like that. It is easy to use and you can email directly from the program or save to your phone. I also use it to scan signed Bills of Laden to be used for billing invoices on loads pulled.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  9. Terry270

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Yeah I think snapping a pic of the gate pass before handing it in is the best way to really CYA.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  10. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I always note the damages on the gate pass, even before the Ready thing when I was contracted directly with Manheim, plus I now take pictures of the damage and the pass. It is unusual for them to lose a gate pass, but some of their facilities are better run than others so I am sure it happens. I have been told by friends in the security office that the officer that scans out the unit is responsible to be sure the gate pass is filed, they have had too many vehicles released with no idea who actually took them that a gate guard can lose their job if a pass is missing.

I have only had one claim try to come back to me, but once I showed the geo tagged pictures they dropped it, having the time/date/location embedded in the picture is a real game changer as long as you take the picture before going to the gate. Keep in mind though, it is against Manheim policy to take pictures inside their gate, so if they want to be pushy they can pay the claim but ban you from their property nationwide. Don't know how they would enforce this but it is in their policy book.

I was spoken to by the general manager once for having a picture of the gate pass with my notes, that is also against Manheim policy, my argument was it had a spot for my signature (the full size pass not the little gold ones) so I want a copy of anything I sign. He told me not to do it anymore, but I still do to cover my arse, especially with how cold our relationship has grown with the interference of RAT.

Tall Mike and Terry270 Thank this.
  11. Terry270

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Against policy to take pictures on their property, against policy to take a picture of the gate pass. Against policy for transporters to cover their ##* at all so they can stick us with any damages! They can kiss my ***. They are getting too big and need to be put in their place

tech10171968 and brian991219 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.