How many truckloads does a particular warehouse hold?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by TomCougar, Oct 25, 2019.

1. TomCougar

TomCougar Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    This is assuming the warehouse has an exterior footprint of 108 feet x 108 feet and has three levels and at least one freight elevator.

What is this capacity of this building for goods on pallets in terms of both:

-truckloads (53' dry-vans) and 50-foot standard-gauge boxcar loads

Is there a general mathematical formula to convert warehouse size in volume to truckloads and trainloads?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Just wait for the day you end up having a load that consists of a pallet. A SINGULAR pallet. Driving with a truckload carrier. Might make you question your definition of "truckload" ever so slightly

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    starmac Thanks this.
  4. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    There is no hard and fast answer to your question. Layout of the building, weights, stackability, and even the dementions of each pallet will all contribute to the variables.

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  5. TomCougar

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    The total cubic capacity for a 53-foot dry-van trailer is 3,950 cubic feet.
    Dry Van Trucking Companies: Freight and Shipping Services

A 50' BNSF boxcar is 6235 cu. ft.in volume.
    https://www.bnsf.com/ship-with-bnsf/ways-of-shipping/equipment/pdf/50ftF_BoxcarDiagram.pdf

My scale warehouse is 108' x 108' x 41' (scale) external dimensions it has three floors for goods storage and no basement space for goods. The total volume of the building is: scale 478,224 cu. ft.

Let's assume to be conservative, that only half this volume can be used for storage of goods on pallets in perfect uniform cubes. Scale 239,112 cu. ft. Let's also assume that there are imaginary pallets uniform in size and perfect cubes that will completely occupy the interior of a scale 53' dry van or scale 50' boxcar.

That's scale 60 full dry van loads or scale 38 full boxcar loads for this scale little warehouse with a small scale footprint.

The reason I ask is because I have such warehouse on my model railroad layout. It is G scale. It is a freight terminal on a RR siding with dock space to park two boxcars on one side and dock space to park six trucks on the opposite side. I suppose the building is sufficient in size to service all the freight vehicles that can possibly access it daily. My facility also has spaces to park 12 semis to wait to access the dock.The local railroad division might only be able, ready and/or willing to pick up and deliver a total of six boxcars at this facility over a 24-hour period. I doubt if 60 semis can access this facility in just a 24-hour period for loading/unloading full truckloads.

Model railroading makes you wonder about all the math, planning, management, architecture, engineering and physics involved in real world infrastructures.

6. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Can't go by cube, though. We can't weigh more than 80000 pounds per federal law, and after the weight of the truck and empty trailer, that leaves about 47000 for freight... hypothetically, but that explanation is best left for another time. Unloading at a Costco in eastern VA, I had a chat with a guy about weight limitations and volume of sugar. He was looking to start moving more sugar to his business, and it was fascinating just how well this man understood his sugar. Could tell you how much each skid weighs, the challenges of moving sugar on the capacity he consumed it, anything you wanted to know. While waiting for his sugar (which had apparently been back ordered through Costco) to come off my truck, he took the time to ask me a couple questions as well as answer a few of my own. He surprised to learn that despite having about 4 times the volume of his Penske straight truck, I could only haul about twice the capacity before running into bridge law. As opposed to, say, running shoes, where you can fill every last cubic inch of that trailer and not come close to the magic 80k mark. The moral of the story is that WHAT your freight is matters more than the size of your container when it comes to HOW MUCH of it you can move at once

7. TomCougar

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    Warehouses probably have little of no weight restrictions in terms of what can be stored inside its walls as long as it upper floors don't collapse from the heaviest of goods, perhaps solid blocks of lead. Which is more profitable for a common carrier to ship? A light truckload of Nikes or truckload of house paint in one-gallon cans, much heavier and denser?

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    A common carrier doesn't ship. They are the ones providing the shipping service.
    And to answer your question, there is a whole field dedicated to answering that question. It's called Logistics Management. One can even get a bachelor degree in it, it tends to be that complex. Every customer has different requirements so there can be no answer until the requirements are met.
    Also, multi story warehouses are extremely uncommon. I honestly only know of one. The Meijers cold storage in Lansing.

9. TomCougar

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    Sorry, meant transport. Ship according to the dictionary can mean SEND or TRANSPORT. Confusing term. I better convert my multistory warehouse to a single floor one then. Even one level can still support 20 dry van loads and 12 boxcar loads. Is 20 feet a realistic roof height?

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    20 would actually be a low ceiling. Common is closer to 30 and I've seen a few warehouses advertising 60 foot ceilings. To give you an idea, the warehouse I pull out of is about 400,000 square feet. We get about 200 loads a day out, and of course 200 a day in.

11. TomCougar

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    Here is my latest revision to my scale model RR warehouse, it's scaled to have its exterior walls 32' high to the flashing from the concrete slab below which is one meter above ground level, the footprint on the concrete foundation is 108' x 108' scale feet:

[​IMG]

My brick warehouse is fictitious Jonstown in northern California in a mountainous and pine-forested rural region. The small town has a fictitious population of 750. How high can a typical Hyster forklift reach from a single floor to stack or shelf goods? This warehouse is small because real estate is limited. Your trucks are probably difficult to maneuver in some dock areas because certain customers are tight on available real property for transportation use.

Here is the train side of the freight terminal:
    [​IMG]

Forking around up close:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.