How milage pay works,for new drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jc3737, Jan 17, 2018.

1. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Hello,
    I'm a brand new cdl holder. No experience,but looking for job. I'm willing to go OTR, but I'm confused about mileage pay from companies. Some companies, guarantee between 2,500-3,000 miles per week. From as low as 0.25 cpm for large carriers to 0.50 cpm, for small companies. Can any veterans drivers help me to understand please? I mean, do they pay loaded mileage( When you have a load), or pay empty mileage to go pick up a load? Or if they will send me to States like New York, or California where traffic is terrible ,and I will drive 5 mph, how can they possibly guarantee 3,000 miles per week or more? Thanks for your help,guys.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Any decent company pays loaded and empty miles if you are on a mileage pay.

Brickwall Thanks this.
  4. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Thanks for your reply. But what they mean " We guarantee at least 2,500-3,000 miles per week"?

5. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    it should pay you the same loaded or empty . 3000 miles a week is only 428 miles a day in a 7 day week . if you cant get 3000 miles a week you aren't trucking you are warehousing in my book .

6. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. You mean,in the trucking industry,an OTR driver,should run around 3,000 miles per week,in order to make a decent paycheck? I don't get the warehouse part,lol.

7. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    I am saying 3000 miles a week is easy to do if you are not using your truck as storage for the shipper .
    If they are willing to put the 3000 mile guarantee in writing they will probably keep you moving .

You don't get paid to sit you get paid to drive !!!

The_Great_Corn Thanks this.
  8. FlexinTarzan

FlexinTarzan Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Stanfield, OR
    Three Pay Types:

Hub Miles- Paid on all miles truck runs. BEST
    Practical Miles- Pays to stay on Friendlier/Faster Larger roads Zip Code to Zip Code. Better
    HHG Miles- The absolute shortest and slowest legal trk route Zip Code to Zip Code. WORST

Most larger companies pay the same rate whether Empty/Loaded/Bobtail, the smaller outfits are the ones who pay a lesser rate Empty or Bobtail.

Heavier Populated areas of the country...expect your wallet to take a hit dealing with traffic and such. Some Companies pay an extra $100 for loads delivering inside the 5 boroughs of NYC.

Now, no company can Guarantee that you will run a certain amount of miles a given week, with weather/breakdowns/shipper/receiver problems ect. They might say our drivers average such and such but take that with a grain of salt. Some outfits do Guarantee that you will receive a certain amount each week claiming that "They got your back" when things happen outside your control that leaves you with a bad week, but again there will be many hoops to jump thru to QUALIFY for the Guarantee.

Brickwall and Toomanybikes Thank this.
  9. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    If you get stuck in traffic, you will sit with no pay. If your truck breaks down, you will sit with no pay. When your wheels are turning you get your cents per mile pay, when your wheels are not rolling, you get no pay, unless detention, or supplemental pay. You get flat tire, no pay.

The company may promise to have the miles available, but you only get paid on the miles you actually drive. Don’t go to New York City....ever.....with a truck. Don’t drive a car there either....take a bus.

10. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Thanks for your reply. But what if I don't have an option to say no, driving for a company? Meaning will dispatch might get mad or disappointed, if they have an ugly load to get rid of, I assume the chances are they will give it to a new guy. I would think so, because I worked as a chauffeur for a limo company here in Chicago, and when dispatch wanted to get rid of a bad fare,and you would say no, they weren't happy,and might even retaliate against you.

11. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Thanks again,makes sense what you said. I don't know how long you've been driving,but definitely sounds you have experience. What you think working for large carriers like Schneider or Swift? They pay low, but maybe a good chance to learn the business?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.