How milage pay works,for new drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jc3737, Jan 17, 2018.

1. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    Some companies advertise “no forced dispatch”, which means you can turn down a load. Otherwise the dispatcher could get upset with you.....retaliate....hell yes.

4. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Thanks again. Just as I thought. What makes the difference between a limo chauffeur and a company truck driver,is just the size and miles,I guess,Lol. Thanks,I appreciate your help.

5. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    As a new driver, driving over 2500 miles a week will be a really big challenge (especially if you aren't running the open roads and delivering to big metropolitan areas). You've got a lot to learn in the first year, and pushing yourself to drive that much may lead to trouble.

Best pay is always mileage loaded or empty with add pays for all work (tarping, unloading, etc).

Don't settle for a dismal rate, and don't always think the grass is always greener. Find the company that's doing the work you want to do (deck, tanker, van, reefer, etc), driving the equipment you want to operate (Pete, KW, WStar, etc) and going to the places you want to go (OTR, long-haul rounders, regional, local, etc).

Unless you are being taken advantage of or abused, stick it out with a company if you find something that makes you reasonably happy. Hopping around between companies because X company pays 1 cpm more than Y company is the last thing most companies want to see when hiring.

Most smaller companies want dedicated drivers that are loyal when treated right. They want to depend on you, and not dump the truck halfway across the country from their terminal because you got start crying that they didn't get you home on time. This is trucking, delays are part of the business. Suck it up buttercup and you'll be fine.

Paddlewagon Thanks this.
  6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Your only confused cause your new other than asking in here, all you have to do is talk with the potential company representatives which usually are the recruiters. Just be careful about any company making pie in the sky promises about you getting certain miles per week. I'm not saying their lying, however you'll find to get those miles you'll have to do all the loads they give you no rejections once you start refusing loads and requesting time off you'll find your miles will start to decrease. Have you figured out how you will be physically able to do 3000 miles per week? Check what speed their trucks are governed at, the slower they go the less miles you'll be able to do per week. I'd factor in an average speed of say 60 mph x by 11 hours x by 5, 11 hours at 60 will give you 660 per day over 5 days that would be 3300 miles. However that's a big if you got to factor in driver fatigue, the weather, delays etc etc.

TruckerMan666 Thanks this.
  7. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Hello, thanks for your reply,and advice. Yes, I agree, what you said makes a lot of sense. Even because I'm a limo chauffeur for many years here in Chicago. Now,after almost 18 years in the industry, 6 out of them on my own, operating my own service, I'm got my cdl, because business is very slow,and not worth it keeping buying new cars to operate. I'm familiar with what you said, because I did work with limo companies before I went independently, and yes, ofc, dispatch,will not be happy if you don't want to work. I remember, when they had an ugly fare to get rid of, the chances were they will give it to new guys,if no one was available, they would give to senior drivers. But, you would help them,they will help you. That's a business works. I'm not looking for a greener grass in the trucking industry. I know,I will get a pretty ugly work too. Part of this,is because I'm new, and part of this is because sometimes dispatch has no choice at all. I'm prepared for this. I'm only asking many questions on this forum, because as they say " Knowledge is power", so I will minimize the chances to work for peanuts, as u said,many companies,regardless of the nature of the industry,are just out there,to take advantage of people. But I really appreciate your help on this matter. Thanks again.

Zeviander Thanks this.
  8. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Hello, thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree with you 100%, no questions asked. Even because I'm a limo chauffeur here in Chicago for many years. And now, I'm independent,but I worked for fleet companies before,and I know dispatch,will not be happy if you start to refuse fares. In trucking,I would aspect the same thing. I'm prepared to get some pretty ugly work,as well. I'm asking many questions on this forum, because the more I know, the more I will minimize the chances to be taken advantage of, and I'm sure you know, there are many companies regardless of the nature of the industry,ready to rip workers off money. But I really appreciate your help on this matter. Thanks a lot.

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Truck co's usually have "lanes" that they run about 80% of the time for their accounts. These lanes, for instance might be I-10, I-20, I-30, and I-40. Occasionally they may run I-90 as an example. But not too often. As a rule, you as a driver can legally run approx. 600mi/day. But in this industry, &%#$ happens, right ? Weather, construction, breakdowns, shipper delays etc. In reality, 600mi/day will beat you up. You will welcome a slow day or day off almost weekly. Now the drivers out there that don't agree with me on this subject are the one's you see at truck-stops that are 45 yrs old BUT look like they're 65 yrs old. I mean, trucking has really beat them up over the years, what with minimal sleep, lousy meals, lots of coffee/cigs etc.

Your mileage pay is the same both loaded and empty. Good luck !

x1Heavy and Paddlewagon Thank this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Any company that "guarantees miles" should be eyed with caution. This is very uncommon. Too many variables, at all levels. However, some might guarantee a minimum salary provided you're doing what's asked of you and available for dispatch all days in the pay period. But they have so much fine print, you can easily get screwed out of getting the "minimum pay", maybe as a fault of yourself, maybe not.

How many miles you can expect to run in a week can vary wildly from one gig to the next, and one week to the next. Anywhere from 1,500 to 3,500. So many variables can affect this week to week, even just considering a single carrier's fleet.

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  11. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Almost all will promise 2500 miles but few deliver; especially the megas. I costs them nothing to make the promise and it attracts fresh meat to the seat.

And since it costs them nothing to have you sit, don't expect office staff to give you any more loads then their weekly quota of miles is. For many companies that is in the 1500-2000 mile range. You get it? You sit for free; driver miles mean more work for office staff with no benefit for them.

Now, you will get folks answering your question with saying they got 2,800, 3,000, or 3,500 miles at XYZ mega crap training company. A few years back, we would get BS here that would insist they regularly run 4,000 - 4,500 miles on a 60mph governed truck with a legal log book at a mega. Those are of course lies, but people sincerely believed them. The reason is ego.

These companies lead you to believe piece work pay is "performance based pay." It is not. These braggers believe the falsehood perpetrated on them that putting forth a little extra effort will pay big dividends for a piece work driver. Of course office staff is motivated to put forth that idea, since the BS costs them nothing and they are in a constant battle with their employee turnover at a 100% annually.

And like all good lies, their is a tinge of truth involved; some of the drivers they hire cannot handle the pittance of miles they do hand out. It is kind of funny, but you get people signed up for the trucking business that cannot log 200miles in the saddle a day.

The end result is you get what you get at a mega trucking company. Some weeks more, some less. They run a seasonal business and what you get for a load is more dependent on the freight available then anything else. That will be most often less then the 2500 miles the lure you in with.

Brickwall and TripleSix Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.