How milage pay works,for new drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jc3737, Jan 17, 2018.

1. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Hello,
    Thanks for your reply. Well, yes, I agree. But as a new driver, I know,the first year will be the hardest, because every thing comes with experience and knowledge. I know this, because currently for many years I'm in the chauffeur business,for limo and airport transportation,here in Chicago.And ofc, when I started, the first year was the hardest. Unlike trucking, chauffeured transportation, mileage is what ruins you the most. Especially if the driver pays for the gas. In other words, the longer you drive empty, to/ from, the more you will spend on gas. Not to mention about dispatch, if they don't like the way you act and perform,ofc, they will give you the ugliest fares,such as single share ride, a reduced fare price,in exchange for a client to be willing to share the car,with another rider within the same area or zip code,as u said. But, if no match, then you ride a single shared( Total waste of time and money). In not expecting trucking to get me rich or to be easier,at all. And I'm willing to work as hard as I have to. But what I'm trying to do by asking all this questions,is learn as much I can,in order to minimize my losses and chances of getting ripped off,working for peanuts. After Uber took over, my industry is kind of dying out. And I heard Uber has started to do some brokers deal in trucking as well. So, I figured, can't be any worse than it is in the limo business,minus well give it a shot and try. I appreciate your,help,and more comments or help on your side,will be always appreciate. Thanks again,J.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    The simple math should not be the problem. (if it is, then trucking isn't for you)

The problem is the quoted miles never add up to expectations.

4. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Hello ,
    Thanks for your reply. In other words,you're saying, there's no guarantees, basically. Which means, starting a job,and see how far I can take it? Well, I can well imagine that money comes with experience and hard work. I've been living in Us long enough to realize this. I'm not afraid to work,as of right now,I work as a chauffeur,for limo and airport car service. I'm trying to change to trucking, because after Uber took over ,in Chicago,this industry is dying out. I don't aspect to get rich driving trucks, but I'm trying to gather as much of information as possible,before I start. As they say " Knowledge is power". And I know, will come with time and hard work. But I'm trying to learn at least the basic, trying to work for a company,that will rip me off,the least as possible. Any further replies from you,are appreciate . Thanks again,J.

5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    One other difference. With the truck, what's being hauled isn't a complete PIA. Won't make you wish you were deaf.

Brickwall Thanks this.
  6. Express12$

Express12$ Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    .. never accept anything lower than $0.50 a mile or about $1600 wk.. I'm new too bro.

7. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    By the way, I wanted to ask you, when I start a job with a trucking company,will they train Mr on how to fill the log books,chain the tires,and test my driving? I don't know, if I picked the wrong school, but they didn't teach me all this things. For almost $ 3,000.00 all they taught me, is pre trip,straight line backing,offset to the left,and parallel parking. Not even a Alleys deck backing. Basically nothing,just enough to pass the cdl test. In your experience,what should I do? Thanks,J.

8. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Which company you work for? How long you been driving? I don't know if I picked the wrong school,but they didn't even show me how to feel the log books . Just enough to pass the test. By this,I mean,pre trip, offset to the left,straight line backing and parallel. Not even how to chain the tires and couple tractor and trailer. Did they teach this when you started? Thanks,J.

9. Express12$

Express12$ Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Yeah all the school is the same they teach student minimum to pass the test that's it . I went to CRST out of Iowa. I work for them for a few weeks and left. And then I work for the local Russian company that runs all over United State I learned everything I know on the job. I've been driving for 6 months now.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Its not nothing.

Getting a big Semi truck and a large 53 foot vehicle into and out of places requires a really finesse skill to do it right and without damage. Some trucks are really BIG with many wheels for really HEAVY stuff. Those are hauled by the best there are.

You are NOT going to get someone out of a car all their life, plop em into a 40 ton potentially lethal killing machine and crack the whip from LA to Jersey and say MUSH. It's not going to happen, they wont get very many blocks before breaking something or getting in the way.

Some people do not know how to do trailers despite all the training in the world. It's something to do with the mind inside of them. Their skills are best found else where. Maybe box trucks. And there are people who back TWO trailers double in competition, something I cannot do actually. (And would not want to... I would just make a hash of it. I am content and more than happy with my one move docking. Pull up set and in done no fuss)

Yes it is a form of "Nothing" just to learn enough to pass the CDL test. And the REAL education begins your first month with a real trucking company hauling real things that cost real money, sometimes more than you will ever make in this life time.

11. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Well I see you don't get it yet. At a mega it is not about the hard work. You will work hard but the money does not come, even with experience.

Training companies are not obligated to teach you anything. Don't expect they will. You should have picked that up in trucking school. If you didn't, didn't pay for it, or just got ripped off it is not on the mega training company to teach you.

Some mentor may take pity on you and teach you all those things, but don't expect it. It is a bad way to start a job and a relationship. There is nothing in their job description or pay that reflects the need to teach you the things you should have learned in school.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.