How much can u earn in a week?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lookingtotruck, Aug 3, 2007.

1. lookingtotruck

lookingtotruck Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2007
    What is an average take home check for new drivers over the road? I am hoping $600 take home after taxes is this asking to much?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. larryh31

larryh31 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Washington, DC 20032
    $600 a week take home is possible if your running about 3,000 miles per week. But, most likely you can expect to average $400 to $500 take home just starting out at the big companies.

Recruiters tend to over state typical miles at 3,000+ miles a week when talking to new drivers about their POTENTIAL earnings. You will run out of hours on your log book or run yourself ragged trying to keep up that pace.

4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I have to disagree with Larry. But not by much.

You should be able to bring home $600 a week after taxes without much problem. Provided you are willing to stay in it, and stay after it.

You will have to be VERY selective with what companies you apply at though. You might want to consider running a reefer at first, since they typically run harder during certain times of the year. But, even that is changing.

If you want to bring home $600 a week. You will need to make at least $1000 pretax, and keep your expenses while on the road as low as possible. Unless of course, you are counting your expenses as part of you "bring home".

A good rule of thumb Figure at .28 a mile to start, and 2600 miles a week. Most companies will run their "new" drivers harder, because it saves them money.

If a company tells you they have all the miles you need...Hang the phone up, and try another one. All the miles you need is a phrase they use to describe their idea of what "decent" weekly pay is, usually about $800 a week pretax. Beware of recruiters showing you someone elses pay stub. You can bet they aren't showing you an "average" pay stub.

I get reminded of the use of "All you can eat" by the military when they recruited me, when I hear "All the miles you need". They (the Navy) filled my plate up one time (during basic) and that was all I could eat...cuz thats all they allowed me to eat. It's the same with trucking companies.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    Averaging $600/week after taxes for a new driver should be easily attainable for a new driver. It might be tough when you first get out there on your own, but once you learn to properly plan your trips so you are rested up and have hours to run on after deliveries, it should be pretty easy to do.

6. didntitellu

didntitellu Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Ohio
    Danc694u, that was a great post. A lot of useful info that helped me learn something. And I loved the Navy refferance!

I am sure glad I found this forum before I left for school. Some of the info I have learned already helps be become better prepared for my new career. Thanks to all of you guys!!!!

7. Peeping_Tom

Peeping_Tom Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Sharpsburg, Ga
    600$ is easy. 900$-1100$ is what you want to shoot for. i get a little upset if my check is below 900$ unless i just felt lazy that week and i'll still do 700$-800$.

8. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

My boyfriend has been out there since the end of June and only once has he hit $597. However it is doable and he should start doing it soon. So much time gets spent waiting and waiting. And I'm sure that he is getting some of the lousy runs since he is new. So even if you don't hit $600 right out of the gate, it should be coming along soon.

9. KnightRider

KnightRider Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2007
    biggest check i ever had after taxes was $714 and that was with knight I think i had drove around 2800 miles that week. And since i been driving my checks avg around 400-500 a week, I really dont have a whole lot of exspenses and i typically dont spend very much over the road anyways so 400-500 is ok to me

10. cutloose

cutloose Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Ask the recruiter, he will tell you:biggrin_25520:

11. VULCAN1999

VULCAN1999 World's #1 Grandpa

Jul 28, 2007
    Bunnell, FL
    Sure the recruiter will ask how much do you need to make and whatever you answer they'll say yes you can make that here with us!
    :biggrin_25519:
    Reading these boards really makes me think that selling crack here in Daytona Beach, FL may be much more profitable and probably only have to sign a 1 year agreement with the State Of Florida if I get caught. Don't know which is worse 1 year with Florida or 1-3 years with some of these companies?
    :biggrin_25519::biggrin_25519::biggrin_25519:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.