How much did you pay for your CDL training?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BruBakers, Feb 15, 2007.

1. BruBakers

BruBakers Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2007
    How much did you pay for your CDL Training?
    Where did you go to school at?
    Any problems getting a job after you got your CDL training?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. h07w33ls

h07w33ls Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2007
    the sticker patch,Az
    i paid nothing.i got my cdl without going to a truckdriver school.the best way to learn is to go out and do it w/ an experienced hand.

4. Alaskan

Alaskan Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Houston, Alaska
  5. Light Traveler

Light Traveler Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Somewhere out there...
    $1100, Tn Tech, No.

6. dstockwell

dstockwell Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Georgia
    I will pay about $200, gubment paying the rest, Valdosta Technical College.

7. WannabeMaybe

WannabeMaybe Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2007
    How can one get the government to pay for the training?

8. munrkr

munrkr Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2006
    For what it's worth..... I too live(d) in northern Michigan and checked out the Baker program. My impression was it was a very thourough and comprehensive program. Nite school for 20 weeks and (36?) credits. I was also told that they were poised to get a state-of the-art simulator. And yes, the cost was $7,200. That was a little rich for me, so I decided to to look for other PTDI certified classes in the area.

I found that Fox Valley Technical College in Wisconsin offered a 10-week PTDI certified program. The cost for in-state resudent was only $1700, but $5,400 for out-state. Further research revealed that the college has no minimum requirements for establishing residency, meaning if you "live" in Wisconsin for one day, you're considered a resident. I was told that if I simply listed my Mom's (WI.) address on the application, I was good to go, but later received an e-mail from admissions that I would have to provide documentation, such as a valid Wisconsin driver's license as proof of residency.:smt014 So..... Further research revealed that to attain a Wisconsin D.L., One needs to prove residency (Hello), and could do this by providing one of several documents. (The one I found do-able was a bank statement with at least 30-days activity. So to cover my bases, I immediately moved to Wisconsin and opened up a checking accout.

Also. Lodging for the school is available at at UW-Oshkosh about 20-miles south of the truck-school. It is singles occupancy, w/fridge, micro, and common bathroom/shower. And the cost is only $13/day, total for 10-weeks is only $910. So if you have a car, or pool w/other. It's pretty reasonable. Hope this helps. Sorry about (double) posting as above....

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    JB Hunt paid for my training back in 1992, went to school in Oklahoma. Drove with a JB Hunt trainer for several weeks (and it was actually an experience, good trainer), then left as soon as I found another job. I think I was on my own with JB for just a few short weeks before going somewhere else.

10. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    i paid $3,000.00 back in the late 1980's. as soon as i got my license i got a job, and i get a job every time i apply for one. heck there have been times i'd apply for a non-trucking job, like say a warehouser's job or yardman's job, and i get thrown a driving job instead. it feels good too, but there are times i'd rather be doing something else other than driving. this can hold true for anyone else with several years of experience. you will always be "in demand", and a job is as close as you are willing to go out and look for it. even friends that know you well will recommend you to thier employers, or whenever you decide to "retire" someone will always try and find you for "side jobs"................

11. Newbie2be

Newbie2be Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2006

I'm at Baker now. Few weeks to go, and it cost me about 6,500 in financial aid (which means payments start almost in 2008). No simulator, but very detailed. To get the CDL it's 20 weeks, 30 credits, with another 6 credits in an externship program. Basically you pay them 300 and send them a copy of your logs and any trainer evaluations.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.