How much do those semi tow truck drivers make?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckRunner, Jul 23, 2018.

1. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Because they have to be rolling in money to have a fully decked out custom paint job all chrome 2018 tow trucks with the extended condo. I wouldn't want their job though they work in the worst conditions. So whatever they make they earn it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Net earnings are probably not that great, some of those 50 ton rotators w/o all the bells and whistles run 4-500k. That's why when they wear out the truck part they remove the towing platform and mount it on a different truck. Or, like on "Highway Thru Hell" Jamie Davis has sold all his fancy schmancy toys and went back old school like Quiring towing...

DrDieselUSA Thanks this.
  4. DrDieselUSA

DrDieselUSA Bobtail Member

May 9, 2018
    Not necessarily, if you have good credit you can lease a heavy duty wrecker and get in the heavy duty towing business with no experience necessary. I watched in amazement when a light or maybe medium duty towing company decides to buy a heavy duty wrecker, especially a rotator and all you ever see the heavy duty wrecker doing is towing 24' box trucks. It is really scary watching these rookie heavy wrecker companies trying to do heavy recoveries and causing more damage to the truck they are trying to recover. Sometimes they even manage to damage their own heavy wreckers. There are a few videos on youtube of these tow and recovery fails.

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    they get paid from the time the boss calls, till they get home. all travel time.

not uncommon for a tow driver to get half the hourly rate of $500 per hour + travel time.

but you cannot get onto that quick, gotta work your way up from car towing. i know, i tried when i was MUCH younger, and this is what i was told how you get onto such a bigger truck.

rabbiporkchop and DrDieselUSA Thank this.
  6. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    It's work. They have to hook up an air line, etc. They guy that towed me in scared the crap out of me. Loaded trailer and truck and he's running 75 on a divided highway. I'm sure the cops don't bother them.

7. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    OP, the answer to your question is that the guy driving that truck doesn't make nearly what the owner of the truck/towing company does.

A good friend of mine owned a small towing company and bought one. He made lots on bad truck wrecks but then spent years, and I mean YEARS dealing with the insurance companies, authorities, property owners, etc. on each one. It's more of an office job than a towing company.

brian991219 and Sumtinlidat Thank this.
  8. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I watched a couple of the local companies in my area successfully grow in size over the years off of towing in broken down garbage trucks. Seems to be steady daily work for them along with recovery work.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Pretty sure the chrome and lights on those trucks is just bacon bits on the salad when you look at the cost of one of those trucks.

I'd love the opportunity to try my hand at heavy recovery. I thrive on problem solving and despise doing the same thing every day.

Feedman Thanks this.
  10. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Chrome and lights
    Chrome and lights
    Chrome and lights

11. An outfit here by me charges to the customer $350./hour once he leaves the yard. Driver makes $20/hour doing the work. Winter rates can go up to double depending on weather conditions and location.

Another is being on the State Police rotation list. When a wrecker/tow truck is needed they pull from a list of companies they have inspected and vetted the company. This is to insure the officers and public are not being put in jeopardy from a carless operator.

Like stated above, you need to start small with tow trucks/roll backs and small roadside repair. Then work your way up.
    Don't forget you have companies in your area who have been doing this for decades to compete with.

brian991219 and Sumtinlidat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.