How much do you usually write off?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by GA-TRUCKER, Dec 18, 2016.

1. GA-TRUCKER

GA-TRUCKER Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    This may be kind of a vague question but I have been getting all of my taxes together and calculating it up and double and triple checking it as the end of the year nears. I am a 1099 company driver and last year I seemed to have alot less expenses but this year seems to total alot more. What do you other drivers with my same situation typically average as expenses and meal deductions etc. What do you typically total for write offs? I am accurate with my calculations but still do not want to stand out for the IRS, no one, even if they are reporting accurately wants that headache. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    everything that is associated with the truck or the business. I don't jack around with the IRS

ExOTR and TequilaSunrise Thank this.
  4. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Just total everything up and deduct. If the standard deduction is more, go with the standard.

5. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Right off everything that you can to make your taxable income as small as possible.

Dye Guardian Thanks this.
  6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    He's 1099 ... he better be deducting everything on schedule c and taking the standard deduction.

whoopNride Thanks this.
  7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Every penny I can document.... a maybe a few that I can mostly account for.

Opus Thanks this.
  8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    1099 Company driver.... Whatever you have to pay for and not reimbursed by your company or owner. When I was on 1099 it was per Diem the biggest, then a portion of your phone usage while talking business, and I had a few not reimbursed expenses such as a CB radio, antennas, floor mats, a better upgraded mattress, compact refrigerator, inverter, gloves, parking fees.... things they would not pay for but I wanted to have. Some write off the subscription to XM radio because of a weather/traffic reports, but my accountant said that this is a stretch.

GA-TRUCKER Thanks this.
  9. 617strong

617strong Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2016
    As a fellow 1099 guy for 30 yrs all post ahead of me are correct . What I would say is once you get rolling try and keep your deductions consistent. And within the first few yrs of starting it's ok to show bigger deductions due to start up expenses after that consistent numbers yearly will help keep uncle Sam of your back a usual red flag is self employed with rental income properties.you need to find a good accountant who knows his #### and keeps up with TaX codes cause there always changing . Stay away from h&R block and places like that they r just a processing machine and don't put the work in to reduce your tax liability. Ask around for accountants in your area that other 1099 owner operators use .

10. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    and maybe a few that I cannot account for. lol

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    My auditor went after everything that was deducted. As far as the xm radio she disallowed it. I saw her radio in the office and asked if she reimbursed the cost of the electricity. She said it was there to pass the time and keep abreast of the weather and news. I asked if they charged business for the muzak system. For some reason, she dropped the issue and it was accepted.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.