How much money do semi dump truck O/O's make?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ichudov, Sep 13, 2018.

1. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    We have a construction project nearby (digging down a lake) and there are endless semi dumps coming and going.

I am wondering how much per hour/day do those semi dump truck O/O's make. Looks like a lucrative business but boring and the trucks take a beating.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    It depends what area of the country you are in.

And yes the trucks do take quite a beating, much more than a regular tractor just hauling general Freight.

4. ichudov

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    say here in the Chicago area...

5. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Someone from Chicago would have to answer you.

Here in Pennsylvania a tri-axle dump truck can Gross 3500 a week without working very hard. With that being said there are guys here with tri axles that run them literally day and night with all the paving and road work. So if they can keep the trucks rolling and keep drivers, which is a huge problem, you can at least double that.

Some companies here can run just about all year, although I think most guys end up having a few months off. It's kind of feast or famine. Even the companies that have 15 or 20 trucks slow down in the winter.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. ichudov

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    Thanks. I guess in winter you could be running Containers.

Anyway, gross 3500 per week. Probably 200 miles per day at most. 1000 miles per week. That's about 200 gallons of diesel, or about $700. Repairs to the truck, maintenance, tires etc about $400. So about 2,400 left as gross profit? not so bad...

7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Considering 1 tire would be over $400,.. I think you are a little bit off. And there is no gross profit,... it would be NET profit.

Having been in the const industry and hiring trucks. Much depends on location of course,. but they were always paid by the load unless you used them onsite,.. and then it was by the hour.

They can gross well over $5000 in a week with the right contract. But the repairs and expenses I'm of the opinion eat a big chunk of it.

I recall 1 guy with a newer Pete,.. we used him on site. In the course of the 1 week we used him,.. I saw him break an axle,.. blow 2 air lines, break a universal joint and blew a wheel seal.

Hurst

8. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Money can be made with dump trucks but you also have to remember that they are going to cost more money to run than a tractor.

Tires are going to be replaced more often. Brakes are going to be replaced more often. Spring work has to be done fairly often because they carry the complete load on the chassis, as do the bushings on the rear suspension. They go in to places you would never dream of with a tractor.

They stop and go constantly with full loads. There are no light loads. They go through clutches, transmissions, and Driveline Parts more often. It's common to replace differentials with gears broken.

Eventually beds need floors or sides welded in, hinge bushings go bad, hoists need to be repacked, even lift axle bushings wear out.

You can avoid at least some of that if you drive your own truck, but if you put somebody in it it is very easy to tear a truck up.

Some guys do really well with dump trucks, some guys go broke.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  9. ichudov

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    Thanks a lot. For sure it is not the sort of business for people who get bored easily!

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    It's been awhile but 10 yrs ago dirt work paid $85/hr to the truck. In S. Ca. That's truck and trailer. If you were O/O without trailers, you "rented" trailers from whoever you worked thru. Dirt work is brutal tho, bouncing, heavy, dusty etc. Also, you need to go out of town quite often for a big job and that means motels etc

ichudov Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's contract based.

We built a parking lot in a office complex with two dump trucks, a paver, backhoe, roller and tool truck. Took us 5 weeks. Contract was around 35000.

IF we did 10 of those in a year it's going to generate a pretty goodly amount of gross for the contractor. Who also owned a farm so if we did not do dump work, we were on gathering hay and so on. And a few other things too. That's the key to being in the money, having a number of different revenue producing ventures. So if one is slow due to winter, you fall back on the other or something else.

We do many jobs in a week. The bigger ones are what brings in the money. We had one day where a group of homeowners fed up with their road situation contracted to build a common road with their own money pooled together. We put down about 110 yards that day of stone. Which was a very long day in relay. And the following day the rest of it was done and done and their problems solved. Just need a little money from everyone and a bit of teamwork from us plus a contract and a fixed amount of time to do it.

ichudov Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.