How Much Will I actually Earn?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by flathead, Oct 24, 2009.

1. flathead

flathead Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2007
    North of Syracuse, NY
    OK, I saw a similar thread but the answers there were all misleading, so I think this should be posted with it's own heading, and probably made sticky or docked or whatever you call it.

If you are still in truck school, or thinking about joining onto a carrier for "free" training, or even if you aren't that serious yet, just kind of kicking around the idea of driving truck for a living...

First question you've got to answer is if you can afford it or not. Or simply stated, "How much will I actually earn?"

Here are two formulas for you to figure it out yourself:

WEEKLY PAY FORMULA:
    (A times 2700 times ".8") - 200 = Your weekly take-home pay in dollars.
    Where "A" is your pay rate in Dollars per mile, such as .32 dollars (32 cents) or .29 dollars (29 cents) or whatever it is.

The 2700 is a good estimate of what your weekly miles will be the first few years of OTR driving, if your dispatchers keep you moving. The ".8" should be obvious, but that's to allow for taxes. The "- 200" is to pay for road expenses, weekly. Some spend more per week, some spend less. But the average is about $200 a week for food, showers, miscellaneous expenses related to living on the road in a tractor.

PAY RATE IN DOLLARS PER HOUR:
    A times 2700 divided by 80 = Dollars Per Hour
    Where "A" is your pay rate in Dollars per mile, such as .32 dollars (32 cents) or .29 dollars (29 cents) or whatever it is.

Again, 2700 is a good estimate of what your weekly miles will be the first few years of OTR driving, if your dispatchers keep you moving. "80" is a good estimate of how many hours you will work each 7-day week. Note you can't log 80 hours in 7 days, obviously. But that doesn't change the fact that you will work almost 12 hours every day, 7 days a week. For 2700 miles, you will need to drive about 48 hours. But that's just driving time. Other time you are working (on or off the log book) you will be doing pre-trip/post-trip inspections, fueling, paperwork, scaling, sliding axles, re-scaling and (here's the biggie) waiting to be loaded or unloaded.

Those two formulas listed above should be pretty darned close to what you actually earn, either in weekly take-home pay or in dollars per hour. So all you need to do is ask your prospective employer what the cents-per-mile pay rate is, then you will know what you will actually earn, based on that cents-per-mile pay rate.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

2700 miles per week ? Nah, first year, with this econommy=closer to 21-2200. My opinion anyways......

4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Not true....

As a beginning driver, at the lowest pay scale. Most companies will hang as many miles on you as you can drive.

It's the more costly and experienced drivers that are hurting for miles. As companies trim cost wherever possible.

I think a new driver would be safe assuming he/she could get at least 2500 miles a week.

5. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I agree with his mileage guess. It is a good base, and at many company's in a normal economy you should average around 2500-2800. So his 2700 is not bad.
    The way the economy is right now that is a high estimate. Unless we get lucky and a few big dogs go down soon.
    Looks like YRC will be there in the next week, with all it's company's, and a few truckload company's are close. So we shall see.
    If the 3 on the top of my head all go down in the next 6 months it would do allot to lower the over capacity issue. I am thinking like 45-60 thousand less trucks from those 3.
    And there is a 75% chance they will all fail. Especially with fuel prices on the rise and the slow freight of the first quarter coming.
    Then we can see rates get better and milage go back up some.

6. DDiesel

DDiesel Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Fresno
    that formula works pretty good though

flathead Thanks this.
  7. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

In a perfect world. :biggrin_2559:

8. flathead

flathead Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2007
    North of Syracuse, NY
    Thank You! I saw elsewhere in this web site estimates of 35,000 or 40,000 or even more your first year for earnings. I myself made $44,000 (gross) my first full calendar year of OTR truck driving. So I know that $40,000 or even more is possible. But I also believe that discussing gross yearly salary in relation to OTR Truck Driving is very misleading. That's why I posted this thread with the formulas that I did.

To illustrate why I think discussing yearly earnings can be misleading, let's compare another job (say, a banker) to a truck driver.

If you are a Banker, and you work in an office within a short drive (easy commute) from your home and you have gross yearly earnings of $45,000... taxes will cut that to about $36,000. So your take-home pay is about $36,000.

But if you are an OTR truck driver, the pay works out quite a bit differently, even if your gross earnings are identical. Let's say you are an OTR truck driver with gross earnings of $45,000 per year, just like your Banker buddy. Again, taxes cut that to about $36,000. But as a truck driver, you have living on the road expenses that your Banker buddy does not. For living a full year on the road, maintaining a separate household (your tractor), you will spend about $10,000 that your Banker buddy won't. That's about $200 per week for 50 weeks.

For the primary household, the banker and the "trucker" very likely have similar expenses. That is, they each pay things like rent or mortgage, utilities, food (for the family), etc. But the trucker also has a second household (the tractor) with expenses of food, showers, entertainment, etc...

So it works out that, even though the banker and the trucker have identical gross income per year, the trucker brings home about $10K less. And let's face it...regardless of what you earn, your take-home pay is the bottom line.

That's why I posted the first formula not as yearly income, but as weekly take-home pay. I believe it is a more accurate (much less misleading) way of estimating how much you will earn as a truck driver.

9. jtrnr1951

So, these newbies can go out and make $40K their first year. Average @2700 miles a week. I'd like to ask some folks that are just finishing their first year, and see if they make that. But I do think that the formula is kinda cool, pretty accurate !

flathead Thanks this.
  10. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    My spouse went through truck driving school back in November of 2007. She hired on as a trainee with Eastern Freight ways and spent 6 weeks as a trainee being trained by me (her husband). As of January 6th 2008 she was "officially" upgraded to team status.

By the end of the year she earned over $58,000.00 That was splitting .46 cpm.

Of course this is a team operation where she only got paid .23 cpm but we were turning about 5400 miles per week. 1 trip to California and back to Pennsylvania per week.

There was additional pay added such as safety bonuses, holiday pay, stop pay, drops+hooks, etc which padded her pay (and mine).

In the current economy team drivers that are married will do better than their solo counterparts.

jtrnr1951 Thanks this.
  11. jtrnr1951

Wow, I'm impressed !!!
    Looks like she made about 25K in additional pay !! Another success story, Bravo to you both. Be safe out there........

Now which one of you ladies wants to run team with me???
    Just kidding........

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.