How much will i make? Please tell me the truth!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by greytdayzahead, May 9, 2014.

1. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Neither the numbers you use are going to be, realistically. If you can crack on with first year earnings of $35K that's about right, but it's going to depend on what you will be hauling. After a couple of years you should command more $$. Good luck

Davezilla and greytdayzahead Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. walstib

walstib Darkstar

Factor in central NJ COL and you're broke! :biggrin_2551:

4. Davezilla

Davezilla Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    My first year with Werner, I made $36k. My second year I made that by August. The average is somewhere in between.

Werner is average...some companies pay pretty good, like Crete. But they are difficult to get into.

greytdayzahead Thanks this.
  5. cyborgt800

cyborgt800 Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Orchard CO
    I got my CDL in September of 2013, I have grossed $25,932.04 as of my check last week (1/1/14---4/20/14).
    I'm home every day and have 2-3 days off each week if I want.
    I'm on the low end of what drivers around here are making.
    ...I'm in a 2014 truck by myself (I do slip seat sometimes) and was just asked to be a trainer...I'll make $26/hr no OT when I train someone.

...So, anything is possible.

6. amiller

amiller Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    First thing you need to learn is to not listen to anyone in regards to this topic. Your earning potential is up to you. If you settle for certain companies then you will be poorly compensated. Do your research and find the best opportunity for yourself. Everyone told me that I couldn't make money in dry van. Well I make 40 cpm and easily drive 2800+ miles per week!!!

7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Fed Ex Ground - contractor fleet, drivers usually poorly compensated in comparison to other LTL companies. We have several of their drivers here.

8. 70s_driver

70s_driver Medium Load Member

May 4, 2014
    Realistically, that's a hard question to answer. Depends on where you are, what kind of company you get with, the types of loads you haul, how long you're willing to stay gone from home, how hard you run, etc. Id figure on somewhere between $25,000 and $40,000 a year to start (per driver) as a company driver. If you get more, then be pleasantly surprised. Better to be surprised than disappointed.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  9. tucochevy

tucochevy Bobtail Member

May 11, 2014
    Excellent, rational advice....glad i'm researching this field before just getting into it...thank you

70s_driver and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  10. Truckin Juggalo

Truckin Juggalo Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Madisonville, TN
    lol yup CRST VAN EXPEDITED will, lol they put me and my brother-n-law together fresh outta trucking school, we did 4 weeks separate with trainers, 5th week we were teamed up (Scary huh) lol after 6 months they wanted us to be driver trainers LMAO... lol that was back in 2005, but when im at one of their terminals i still see new drivers teaming up

11. 70s_driver

70s_driver Medium Load Member

May 4, 2014
    Good Luck to You whatever you decide.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.