Good afternoon all,
I haven't driven since October 2022 and I'm a bit worried about how far my skills may have dismissed in this last year. When I left the road, I had about 1.2 millions miles under my belt.
I was offered a position in safety at a utility company and after I told my family there was no backing out. I agreed to them that I'd give it a go for a minimum of one year and see how I feel. I have a 7 year old, almost 8 after all, why not try?
Well, I miss the road, I long for it. It's not about the money, I make the same that I did then.
Anyway, pardon the extra, non-essential details, just wanted to throw them out there.
Will I be alright jumping back in the truck?
(I've ran stepdeck primarily for my driving career, I'd go back to that.)
How much will my skills have diminished in one year?
Page 1 of 3
The details aren't non-essential; they give us proper perspective.
Yes, you'll be fine "jumping back in the truck."
Virginia Beach is an excellent location for someone in your situation.
Refrigerated freight is what's happening now.
Of course, there's probably some flatbed companies that may be interested in you.
Marten Transport has an excellent pay schedule.
Has a terminal in Colonial Heights, VA
Short app on opening page:
Marten Transport® CDL Company | Marten® Trucking Jobs Near You
The Colonial Heights Terminal opened in September 2012. The terminal houses an Operations department, driver orientation, a four bay shop including an inspection bay and wash bay for tractors and trailers, and a fully secured yard. Colonial Heights is home to our Mid-Atlantic fleet, and drivers have access to the drivers’ lounge, restroom, showers and laundry facilities 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
CDL-A TRUCK DRIVER JOBS: GUARANTEED $70,000/YR MINIMUM PAY. TOP DRIVERS EARN $100,000+.
$1,350 GUARANTEED MINIMUM WEEKLY PAYCHECK. $600 HIRING BONUS ON 1ST PAYCHECK!
MARTEN MEANS MORE
- $70,000+ GUARANTEED YEARLY SALARY
- $75,000+ AVERAGE YEARLY SALARY
- TOP DRIVERS EARN $100,000+ YEARLY
- $1,350 GUARANTEED WEEKLY PAY
- $1,400+ AVERAGE WEEKLY PAY
- $600 HIRING BONUS ON 1ST PAYCHECK
- MULTIPLE HOME TIME OPTIONS
- DETENTION PAY = UP TO $195 PER DAY
- INCLEMENT WEATHER PAY = UP TO $250 PER DAY
- LAYOVER PAY = UP TO $250 PER DAY
- WEEKEND LAYOVER PAY = UP TO $300 PER DAY
- DRIVEWYZE CARRIER
- LATE-MODEL EQUIPMENT WITH APUS - AVERAGE 2 YEARS OR NEWER
- MARTEN IS A TOP PAY CERTIFIED CARRIER
$88,000 - $102,000 a year
chris_karr Thanks this.
- REQUIRED - 2 years of Class A driving experience
- Valid Class A CDL with Tanker and HazMat endorsement
- TWIC card (FL, TN, SC, VA)
- A copy of the complete job description, which includes the minimum requirements and essential functions of the position, is available on request.
You need to get back behind the wheel soon, though. These companies are real wierd about drivers that don't drive for a couple of years, they act like the driver thats been out of the seat is worse than a a driver with a drug problem. After 2 years Western Express is about the only I have found to retrain ( funny way to put it) experienced drivers.
Page 1 of 3