How often can personal Conveyance be used?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Diantane, Nov 8, 2018.

1. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    This was just published to the FMCSA website:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    There are plenty of drivers that do much much worse with PC, and companies that turn a blind eye to it.

Until that driver causes an accident while on PC, and the victim gets to own the company.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The Feds don't say. Your company MIGHT have a policy. Use it everytime you are actually Off Duty and traveling for food or safe parking. Just don't use it to advance in your company trip.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. BillStep

BillStep Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    randomname Thanks this.
  6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I've used PC twice in sketchy situations, in both instances, my bosses have said that "if I'm stopped, in an accident, or if the company is audited and PC called into question, I'm on my own and they will not defend me". Otherwise, they expect me to drive in compliance.

7. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I drop a load at a certain receiver at 3am. I do my empty final call, and wait 20 minutes to be dispatched. I know #### well I’m not going to get a QC for a few hours. I can’t stay at the receiver according to their rules. It’s 30 minutes to the nearest TS /safe haven. I log onto the PC line and head to park. I QC that I’m taking my 10 and I save the hours and get sleep. According to the company this is responsible use of PC. I’m not under a load and not dispatched. I’m basically driving “home” from work to sleep/time off.

The one I’m a little fuzzy on is when I pull up to a guard shack and they tell me to drop my trailer at a door. They ask for my phone number and tell me it may be up to 2 hours till I get a call. I’m already sitting bobtail in the street and I know there’s a really good Mexican restaurant down the street about a couple of miles. I’ve chosen not to go. I got conflicting info about this. I don’t have a bol or a trailer, but I did check in. One person compared it to being on call for work another said why chance it. I don’t think either knew and I can afford to miss a few meals. What do you say?

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The number one question for pc is, are you doing any work? Going to a restaurant is obviously not.

kylefitzy and otterinthewater Thank this.
  9. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    If you just need a lift, then it's ok to use PC. Why would you call a cab when you're sitting on wheels already.
    You might be on call while waiting at the shipper for your trailer to get unloaded. You could be in the sleeper as well, since you obviously don't have to supervise the unloading process.

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  10. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Go to the freaking restaurant. You’re a truck driver not a prisoner. You’re free to do as you please. What are they going to do? Take you out back and shoot you?

86scotty and Woodys Thank this.
  11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    On the weekends, I drive for Lyft. This morning I picked up a driver from Safeway warehouse. He wanted food, it was going to be 5 hours to unload, they said he could drop and bobtail out, he decided to leave his truck and not risk it on PC.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.