How often do you truck drivers stop for breaks, leg stretching, etc?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Chessguy, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Chessguy

Chessguy Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Missouri
    Maybe every 2 or 3 hours?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Pulling flatbeds over-the-road, every couple hours to check chains, straps, etc. Other than that, I tried not to make a habit of it.
    Doing sitework... what's stopping? If I wasn't hauling something, I was operating equipment, working a shovel, or doing something.

Raiderfanatic Thanks this.
  4. pokerhound67

pokerhound67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 30, 2012
    depends a lot on the load. since fmcsa says if you want to drive 11 hours in a day you must do it within a 14 hour window, many times you dont have time to take very many breaks. especially this time of year, with weather causing a certain unpredictability on how much you may be able to drive tomorrow or the next day, drivers will try to get as much of a long load behind them today. so, if im on a 500 mile load thats gonna take 9-10 hours of driving, and its due tomorrow, then i have more time to play with. may loaf a bit on the meal break...may make an extra stop or two. if im on a 2000 mile load due 4 days from now, i will try to drive 11 hours today, which means no lolligagging at the meal break, and quick stops to stretch or visit the facilities. when trying to drive 11 hours, ill generally try to drive at least 5 hours before stopping, maybe stop 3-4 times total. every 2-3 hours would make driving 11 hours nearly impossible under the current regulations. fmcsa really made the roads less safe, and the new ones coming in july promise to do more of the same, forcing more drivers to drive in heavier traffic.

5. AfroBat

AfroBat Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Truth be told I use a glass while I ride then when I slow down I dump it then I keep rolling. A tailgator found out the hard way not to ever do that because the air wraps around the back of a trailer and takes wizz with it.
    Hope this helps, and before I forget, Thanks US express and Dart and JB hunt and all you other large carriers for lobbying for these slave conditions we a must abide by just so we can haul your cheap freight.

Homemade1959 Thanks this.
  6. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    More often than not I usually don't stop more than 2 times in 11h.
    Depends on the load/where I am going what I feel like.
    Somedays I don't stop at all. Other days I might have plenty of time and stop 3-4 times on a short day.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    about every 5 hours i crawl back in the sleeper for a nap.

yall can kiss my butt if you think i'm driving 11 straight day after day.

davetiow Thanks this.
  8. kwloo

kwloo Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    eh?
    Most days-Every three(not more than a few minutes) unless I'm pressed for time and then I may drive 13 straight. I'm getting old so I can't do this too many days in a row. I like the stateside because I HAVE to stop after 11hrs. First day out after a couple days off I will quite often have a 2 hr snooze after only 5 hrs driving.
    My New Years resolution is to stop a few hours before the end of my day to have a decent meal. I hate eating,sleeping and eating again during my 10 - it's just not healthy trying to sleep witha big lump in your gut

9. Superquack

Superquack Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Farthest out i Run is 118 miles so i don't unless its an emergency bathroom break.

10. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I stop when I need a break.

Hanadarko and Moosetek13 Thank this.
  11. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Some days I have to stop every quarter mile... For stop lights.

When I have to do the "Crosstown" in Chicago.

Mikeeee

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    Red Hot Mess Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.