How to apply without current employer finding out

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by wildbill123, Oct 10, 2011.

1. wildbill123

wildbill123 Heavy Load Member

Jan 31, 2009
    SE,MI
    I know if you apply for a drivers job at a new company they have to call your current employer. So how does a person apply, without their current employer finding out ?
    TIA

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tirednaz

tirednaz Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Arizona
    If you are serious about leaving your current employer I would not worry about it. Plus if you say that to the new employer they will wounder why.

wildbill123 Thanks this.
  4. walstib

walstib Darkstar

Tell prospective new employer that you don't wish the current company to know until verification is the last item needed to ensure employment...If they don't agree with that, look elsewhere...It's a fair request...

wildbill123 Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    On most apps, it lets you check "Is it OK for us to contact your current employer?"

A lot of prospective employers will use your current driver certification card and/or medical card to pre-validate your hire date with current employer. But at some point once you accept the job, THEY WILL contact the employer to verify dates, and work history. And they will bring you in and terminate if something they consider critical doesn't jive.

wildbill123 and Lonesome Thank this.
  6. walstib

walstib Darkstar

Good point, it's always a risk so it's best to make sure you're just moving to a place where the 'grass looks greener' but isn't...

7. V8-MACK

V8-MACK Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Do you have a year experience yet ? If not I would get 1 year exp. 1st, then jump ship.If you think that,s the best thing for you. If it,s a high paying job, a driver with 10-20 years exp. will get it. Even at 3 years exp. there,s is much more to learn about, the industy and where you think you fit into it.

wildbill123 Thanks this.
  8. wildbill123

wildbill123 Heavy Load Member

Jan 31, 2009
    SE,MI
    Yes I have a year driving local, and some OTR exp. from years ago. The job I'm looking at pays five more bucks an hour than I make now. It's no touch freight and is a drop and hook. The job I have now is also no touch, but I bump 6 to 10 docks a day which is not that big a deal. Yesterday I hooked 9 different trailers and slid axles on eight of them. As far as a driver with 10-20 years getting the job, I guess it's possible for sure. But if you know the right person it helps.

9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    If it's a local job, just apply. People change jobs everyday. If they are a vendictive employer, you don't want to work for them anyways.

As far as OTR goes, you are considered to have zero driving experience. So don't be relying on an OTR position.

wildbill123 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.