How to avoid being an indentured servent to driving school or company

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Mac99, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Mac99

Mac99 Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2017
    West Coast of FLA
    Hello all,
    I'm seriously considering going back to driving. I had my Class B in Mass some decades ago. Now the economy is still hard for older workers and I'm thinking driving may be my best option. I am sure I could take and pass my Class B, after some studying, here in FLA. But, maybe I should go to school for my Class A. I hear news stories about horrible working conditions for new drivers who are working to pay back their school costs. How does one avoid this sort of situation? Do I first find a trucking company and ask them to get me through school. Or, do I get my Class B and then figure out how to get my Class A?

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Pay your own way through the school. Problem solved.

rabbiporkchop, Mike2633 and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  4. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    Check to see if your state has a progam designed to help you change careers. Free schooling. Check with you department of labor

jfred2, NordicNomadic, Dan.S and 2 others Thank this.
  5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @wfutch79 had a great experience with Pinellas County Technical College in getting his CDL A and job placement with J&R Schugel, who he is currently with.

Let me try and find the links; or if I can't just use the search bar for his name; both (all 3) threads will pop up.

Mac99 Thanks this.
  6. Mac99

Mac99 Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2017
    West Coast of FLA
    Thank you. I will also check the Manatee tech school.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    You're in Manatee County? That's where my wife grew up. She went to MCCC herself, which is now MCTC I'd suppose, LoL!

PS: You're welcome. Pinellas isn't too far from you; she went to elementary school there, then they moved to Bradenton.

Best of luck!

8. Mac99

Mac99 Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2017
    West Coast of FLA
    Pinellas is just over the Skyway. About 25 min on a good day.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Yessir~! We make that drive when we visit her family. "On a good day.." haha! Best of luck to ya, either one. Check out Schugel; they've done Mr. Futch good with hometime, and that's not always easy to get being out of Florida.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Should have no worries buddy i went and took the test without even studying and passed first time but then i'm just so smart :rolleyes: surely you will pass after studying hard and learning, with multi choice i find its just a matter of picking the one answer that makes the most sense.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.