How to become a broker?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by j0nnyBo1, Apr 22, 2018.

1. j0nnyBo1

j0nnyBo1 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I'm currently a driver. Been driving about 10 years now for various companies. Very good at what I do. I'd like to exchange my steering wheel for a desk, but I don't really have a clue which door to put my foot in, much less how to do it.

What are some day to day activities I might expect?

Anything helps. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Well, first thing I suggest is going to find a small to midsized brokerage that doesn't have their own trucks and going from there. Learn on someone else's dime.

Just be ready to make a soulcrushing amount of cold calls, especially starting out.

Good luck!

Tug Toy and boredsocial Thank this.
  4. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    This is the right advice. If you can get away with not signing a noncompete I'd go pretty far to avoid one. Particularly for someone with 10 years as a driver.

Do you dispatch your own loads currently?

5. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    To the OP- Yeah I Get.....10 years on the pavement- changed the way you Look,Feel and outcomes n your personal life.

Becoming a broker doesn't necessarily mean your going to win it big, Not in todays Climate where Brokers have margins of 5-10%

Not trying to persuade you in any way....but If your "good" at what you say you are-n Theres Tons of money to Make driving at this time

Everyone wants to be a broker because of the Obvious Reasons Not Leaving your Home/or office, Or Not being Responsible against the public.

Choose Wisely Young Man.

6. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    It's being trapped in your home office, after you've spent a few years being trapped in an office working for probable scumbags. As for not being responsible I've had a 4 alarm dumpster fire hanging over my head since May of 2014. That only stopped two weeks ago when I stopped running produce lol. It's very doubtful I'd still be around without what produce did for me the first 3 years in the business either.

There really aren't any beds of roses in the world that don't have to be worked really hard for. That being said I'm pretty happy with where I am right now... And if I had to do it all over again I'd do it all over again.

If you're looking for a business to get into that doesn't involve a ton of sales work, which is what being a freight broker is, look into doing some kind of coding bootcamp or something. Computer programming is a pretty low barrier to entry these days. You don't have to be great, being average and hard working will get you a long long way. Digital construction work is the new construction work. Without the risk of falling off a building or getting skin cancer. Much worse chance of never passing on your genes though.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Tug Toy Thanks this.
  7. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Yeah, I'd agree with @boredsocial on a lot of points here. If you can sell, this is a good job. If you're personable? still a good job, because you can develop the sales skills. I can teach you to sell. I can't teach you the intangible interpersonal communications you need to get there.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    It also requires at a minimum a certain amount of low cunning. The gullible need not apply... which means that if you gave serious consideration to a broker school you're probably looking at the wrong opportunities.

PPDCT Thanks this.
  9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I can't stand the look of asphalt either. I would like to become a broker too. An independent one...own MC# Heck, I could come up with 75K for a bond too. I would wear my pajamas all day long and work while sitting on my porch. Afternoon comes and all my loads are covered, then I can dress up and do my other life stuff. I don't aim too high, clearing $ 500 day would do it for me. Can I be a broker plz..?

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  10. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Way easier to make 1000 a day than 500 lol. Life is funny like that. 'Moderately' and 'successful' usually don't go together.

11. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Can't be telling them all the things you need, now... :)

boredsocial Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.