How to best improve antenna setup

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by txviking, Jul 23, 2009.

1. txviking

txviking <strong>Trucker Geek</strong>

Jul 18, 2009
    Florida
    I have basic CB antennae that came with the truck, and they're hooked to my Cobra 19 radio. (I'll probably be upgrading the radio at some point, but I don't plan to go overboard. Mainly, I just want one that's better at eliminating noise.)

This works in truck stops, but my range is pitiful. I'd like to know what my best bet is for an antenna setup that will:

- Increase range
    - Not cause interference with other people's radios (CBs, AM/FM, whatever)
    - Not cost a fortune

I am not looking to talk across the world, just to get a range of a few miles.

And no, I am not willing to take out a second mortgage for this. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Have that 19 Modded with a bigger final and it will scream like a Big Radio!
    Yes folks these little radios do shine when properly modded.
    Choice for a truck antenna ? Wilson 2K(with the long shaft),cheap enough # $65.

4. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    Not sure what kind of range you are getting now. If it is only a mile or two, getting about 4 miles should be easy and cheap.

More money for a new CB gets you more features, maybe better quality components, maybe . The legal limit for a CB power is 4 watts. More costly CB radios do not put out more than the legal 4 watt maximum.

When it comes to the antenna there are two simple guidelines.

First, height is might. Longer antennas work better. I read somewhere that to equal the effect of 4 watts to a 6 foot antenna, a 3 foot antenna would need 8 watts (twice the legal limit) or a 2 foot antenna would need 12 watts (three times the legal limit). From what I have read most people do not reccommend less than a 4 foot antenna for a big truck.

Secondly, overhead clearances are the practical limitation on antenna length. A 102"(8 1/2 foot)whip antenna would work great right up until you cruised under an overpass and damaged/broke/tore off the antenna.

The Wilson antenna is very,very good. No offense to the previous poster but at $65, that may be out of your price range. There are a number of antennas that would do the job of getting you about 4 miles of range. Here are two options but there are probably several if not many more choices available. If you have or can access a SWR (standing wave ratio) meter to tune the antenna a Firestick antenna would be a fraction of the cost of the Wilson. Firestick antennas come in lengths from 2 to 7 or 8 feet in length. A 4 or 5 foot antenna should be inexpensive and give you about 4 miles of range. Google that brand for more information.

If you are not adept at tuning an antenna, a Francis antenna which is 4foot, 4 1/2 foot or 5 1/2 foot length could be another possible solution. Just put it on and hook it up. A Francis antenna requires no tuning, is fairly inexpensive but the reported down side is they do not take a lot of power well. If you are not going to hop up or run an amplifier that may not be of any concern to you. The 4 1/2 foot antenna would work for you. Certainly the 5 1/2 foot would do the job if clearances are not an issue for you.

Both Francis and Firestick antenna are fairly easily available however at better prices and more available lengths on the internet or CB radio shops. Prices at truck stops will be slightly high.

5. txviking

txviking <strong>Trucker Geek</strong>

Jul 18, 2009
    Florida
    I am not going above the 4 watt legal limit; as I stated, I have no interest in causing interference and grief for others. I'm also not going to get amplifiers or anything like that. My range right now is a mile on a good day, mostly due to crappy antennae.

$65 is well within my price range, and I think I'll check out the Wilson. I am not adept at tuning, but I'm sure I can find a CB shop that is. Thanks for the advice!

6. bradcapo2

bradcapo2 Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Cheers and we look forward to your Forum Favourites selections!

7. Carolina Thunder

Carolina Thunder Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Coeburn V.A.
    Power or the kind of antenna you use does not cause interference,over modulation does. I can take your radio and do a poor tune on it and it will bleed across every channel and still do no more power than 4 watts! Any radio that is tuned corectly to have no more than 100% modulation will not bleed on anyone,no matter if the radio does 4 watts or 150 watts.

People that use radios that bleed have been told by cb shops over the years that bleed is caused by to much power so now everyone thinks it the truth. Bleed is caused by the tech ripping out the modulation limiter,setting the driver bias wrong,spreading those little copper coils in the back of the radio apart and by mod kits/swing kits. (If you have ever heard someone say that they have to turn their mike gain back becasue the radio has so much power people close to them cant understand them,you can be sure some monkey tuned the radio) Tech's do this because a Dosy power meter shows over modulation as power so the more over modulation the tech can get out of the radio the more power the meter will show and the more money the cb tech can charge for those....."big radio's" when in fact all that is going on is the person is wasting their money for nothing but a shatty sounding radio!

Also. The radio you are using is not one that is known for a clean receive no matter what antenna you use. Some radios will have lots of trash in the receive no matter if your using a $10 antenna or a $1000 antenna. In time you may want to get a good Connex 3300HP or Galaxy 33 radio,both can be had for under $250 new. Have it setup corectly with a good antenna and you will be able to talk as well as hear and you wont bleed on a soul!

By the way.

To all of of those "big radio" guys who like to spend there money on power and nothing else because they think thats all it takes to get out thats fine,after all it's your money. I myself will spend my money on a well tuned radio (i do that myself:yes2557:),low loss coax,an efficient antenna(not all antenna work better than others) and i will blow you out of the truck stop! It takes more than just power along to talk like a big dog and until you understand this all you are doing is letting the cb tech screw you out of your hard earned money for nothing!

rabbiporkchop and Panhandle flash Thank this.
  8. Flatbroke

Flatbroke Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Derry, NH
    TX,
    Make absolutely certain that the coax connectors are properly assembled and soldered. An inexpensive SWR bridge will confirm the antenna is working properly. Antennas make the most difference as far as performance and range. As stated in another post the Wilson is about the best bet.

Brent

9. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    First thing I would do for a cheap fix is to buy a new coax cable. They wear and corrode over time. Have a CB shop tune your antenna for you. If you buy the new coax cable most shops will tune the antenna for free.

The 19's aren't the best radio ever made...

10. Flatbroke

Flatbroke Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Derry, NH
    Sadly like most of us he is trying to save some money. Not sure a shop will do it for cheap? Wish I lived closer as it would take only a few minute to check. Oh well...send me any questions if I can help.

11. killroy

killroy Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Kenner, La.
    I hate to be the barer of bad news but there really is not much you can do to a 19. And any shop that tells you other wise is just after your money, and will probably only screw up that radio.
    The best inexpensive radio for what you want to do would be the Cobra 29 it is the Mack of C.B. radio's. Go on line and check out Sparky's C.B. Shack. He does a darn good job on the 29's and does not clip the radio which is what makes them a splatter box.
    Get a Wilson trucker 2000 Antenna, 18 ft. of good mini 8 coax. The 29 with a Sky thumper 65 Noise canceling Mic. Get it installed correctly Have the SWR's set as close to 1.1 on all 40 channels as you can get, and you will have a set up that will give you years of trouble free service, and you can be proud of it every time you key up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.