How to disconnect coolant fan

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by markk, Nov 29, 2021.

1. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pete 579 2017 mx13 Fan won't shut off. Need to just disconnect it. No one here can work on paccar so it will need to go elsewhere . Don't want to drive around with it running and burn it up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    Driving around with the fan on will not burn it up . Pulling hard and no fan can over heat the engine if you aren't careful . You might have an air leak on the fan clutch and lock it on full time .

flood, Oxbow, bzinger and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I agree. Let it run until you get it fixed.

flood, Oxbow, bzinger and 2 others Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Only thing it will kill is fuel economy. Won't hurt a thing to drive it like that.

6. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I do have some air leaks. Had one bleeding off quickly when shut down . I don't know what it is for but it was a white line going down next to fuel filter on engine. I don't think that airline on fan is leaking, but I'll check. Hard to tell with engine running .
    Shop is going to look tomorrow but they don't do paccar so no scanner.
    I do have a code that pops up about high temp at exhaust or intake , I forget. But when thermostat went out a while back the guy thought temp sensor on passenger back of engine was bad. No one had one so he put a used one in, could be that maybe.
    MPG are doing good since the guys I went to fixed that dpf etc problem . 7.5 coming home earlier from shop fixing my trailer .
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Something else I forgot .
    Ever since I've had this truck , April, the fan slowly turns non stop. I asked two mechanics and both said that was normal. Don't seem normal to me.
    Oh, and I do not think the fan can be turned much with engine off. It is real stuff but if I remember correctly I could turn it but it took a lot of effort

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Some do it, some don't. Just a little bit of motion being transfered through the hub bearings.

9. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If I pull the air line off and blow air into it from my air hose will that stop the fan from turning if air leak is the problem ?
    I did not know air pressure stopped it. I thought the air came on and made it run.

10. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Nope, air to release. Default to on with no air.

11. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    The smoother the bearings are the easier the fan will turn from air friction between the clutch plate and friction surface. The fan turning slowly at idle means that your bearings are very good and are nothing to worry about.
    The fact that you can move the fan with effort when it is engaged is also a good sign, you have reasonably good friction surface and a smooth clutch plate.

Rideandrepair and markk Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.