How to fix trailer bucking?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by 24kHotshot, Oct 25, 2019.

1. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    When I got my trailer with the 16" 10 ply wheels on it the trailer would buck wildly while empty. I figured the tail has too much weight on it. I had a welder relocate my toolboxes to the front of the trailer and that helped a little. I got my wheels upgraded to 17.5" 16 ply and its much better now but still bucks back and forth pretty bad on wavy/rough roads and slow speed exhaust braking. Next weekend I'm having the loading ramps relocated from the tail to the sides and hope that helps some more. Also having new rear extensions built cause the current ones weigh a million tons.When loaded the trailer is smooth as butter.

Would air ride/ air bags on my truck's back axle help with this at all? Any other tips to help deaden the back and forth bucking?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Are the overload/helper springs on the truck rear axle making contact with the perches? There was a certain point my dually would get rough. If the overloads were very close to the perches but not touching, every bump in the pavement would cause the overload springs to make contact giving a jarring ride. Once loaded & the overload springs were fully engaged the ride would smooth out considerably..

They make extensions for the perch to engage the overload/helper spring sooner so they'd be working while lightly loaded & keep you from bouncing off them.

Seen some guys remove the overload springs, & add the air assist so there is no chance of bumping off them. Firestone or Air Lift come to mind. That is probably the best option, unless you go all out with a complete air ride rear axle conversion. Kelderman makes a great kit, but its spendy..

Is your wedge a tandem dual, or a triple axle? Personally have only pulled 2 3axle trailers. They were both tag along, & were loaded with a 9k, & 11k lb boat. Don't really know how a triple pulls empty..

4. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I think the back and forth bucking has to do with the trailer more than the truck. My first trailer was a lot heavier and was a smooth ride empty or full. 1st trailer was triple axle and my current one is a dual tandem 12k. I'm convinced it has to do with the weight on the tail of my wedge.

The airbags I am going to install are firestone. Not many options for the 19' cab and chassis. My suspension does bottom out but not on the overload/helper spring. The guys that did my upfit have put the wheel rear fender bracket in a horrible spot and I am hitting it when heavy. I'm also having my welder find a way to move the brackets so it cant happen anymore. Was just hoping the air bags would help make the ride smoother or at least soften the back and forth bucking of the trailer
    [​IMG]

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  5. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Just to the left of the fender mount it looks like the overload/helper is slightly engaged. It could act with a small catapult effect when bouncing along overpasses, expansion joints, & bad roads..

That sucks about fender mount location. I've seen a few guys complain of no good place to mount them over on the hotshot fourm too. Could be jarring to bump against that also..

You've got a 51' trailer right? To be legal everywhere except CA, it should have a 41' kingpin to rear axle measurement. That leaves at least 10' rear axle to bumper, or tail swing. I guess if you have much more than that you could see about moving the tandem back a few feet, but that may require a structural engineer..? :dontknow: Depends on how strong the main beams are, because you'd be lengthening the KPRA distance. They'd be spanning a greater distance, & have to be able to support more weight. Could be feasible, but could get expensive..

It sounds like you are going to get the Firestone air assist, which sounds like a good move. Hopefully with that, & relocating the fender mounts you'll be good.

I also gather you are not a big fan of the TPT wedge. (Don't think I'd be after how they treated you) Maybe just trade it on something you like better while it's still new & the paint is shiny..

Just my thoughts, maybe someone with more wedge knowledge can tell you if this is normal..

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  6. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    The overload is not engaged because the springs hit the fender mount way before it reaches the overload.

If I remember the measurement correctly it's around 38-39 ft king pin to rear axle. I don't want to mess with the structure so relocating the axles is just too much.

I'm not a fan of TPT themselves but the wedge itself is nice. Show me another wedge with a 26k gvwr. I want to fix the problems and keep it. I'm adding a second driver soon and he needs a trailer and I'm thinking of leasing it to him after I finish fixing these problems.

I do wish I could be 100% sure that my truck could legally carry an infinity gn450. I'd add one to my fleet immediately.

7. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Yeah, that's gn450 is a nice looking unit. Looks like a 4500 truck in the ad's. If you were very cautious about the way you load it, you might be able to pull it off with the 3500. Not that I like it, but I see 3500 pickups dragging 5car mini's up & down I95 all the time..

My post came out weird. Some of it is above in the quoted area..

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Are your axles square to the center of the king pin??? That is, when measured from the exact center of the king pin to a specific location on or near the end of the axle. Does the measurement match EXACTLY when measured to the EXACT SAME location on the other end of the axle????

I have built many trailers of various sizes, and side to side wobble is often caused by an axle being out of square... Especially if only 1 axle is out of square... Or worse yet if both axles are out of square in opposite directions.

Something that is easy to check... And food for thought

9. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    There is no side to side wobble, its a back and forth jerking motion.

10. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Oh shoot, this just hit me. What about maybe trying to add shocks to the trailer? My spring ride gooseneck didn't have them, maybe your wedge does not either.? The welder you've been using could probably get done easily.

Granted my new trailer is air ride, but it does have shocks also. When empty I can't even tell it's back there.

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Back and forth meaning front to back and visa versa?

24kHotshot and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.