how to get a job with not much or no work history?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by smsracing81, Apr 11, 2010.

1. smsracing81

smsracing81 Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2010
    lima, ohio
    I will not give up, cuz i do know now how tough of a road i got and being here and talking to all of you helped me in this step to go foward to the next step, and i will always have this in the back of my head forever for all the help you have givin to me and again thank you very much.....

JustSonny and Everett Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Two thoughts: (everyone feel free to comment)

1) Lima is not that bad a location for a trucker?

2) Which companies did you apply for so far?

i think a week or two after i got my licence i got an otr gig and then about 1 month later i landed overnite---a local gig. So, it can be done. Granted, i did have a job history---albeit a short, inconsistent one----odd jobs---McD's, warehouses etc.

i think the key may be which companies did you apply to and which companies will you apply for?

For instance, i'm not sure how far you are from Dayton because i'm still not too familiar with ohio terrain (first off all i find ohio boring, 2) i would try to avoid ohio due to the strange speed enforcement policies, but this is neither here nor there......), but places like FedEx freight, Old dominion etc., LTL companies train new people. You will probably have to work on the docks for a while, but then they will eventually have you drive locally.

4. Jeff505

Jeff505 Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Reading, Pa
    Smsracing81- Try getting on the dock at FedEx Freight or FedEx National LTL. There are some terminals near you. Go on the FedEx website and see what openings are close to you. Both FedEx and Con-Way have driver apprentice programs for inexperienced drivers that you could look into. Take what you can get where ever you have to and work your way up. Good luck.

5. smsracing81

smsracing81 Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2010
    lima, ohio
    Thank you on that thought cuz i had not thought of that and lately i have been racking my brains so much on companies like that and never thought of FedEx or someone like it. So thank you for giving me an idea to go.

6. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Getting started at anything or any trade is difficult, especially these days of high unemployment. Believe it or not, trucking is one of the easiest to break into.... precicely because so few stay with it. Add on the fact that so many folks who have been "downsized", despite having years of work experience, are "going trucking" as a desperation move.

Trucking is a multi-armed critter. There are as many forms of it as there different things to haul. What you get in your first year or so is the verifiable ability to do the most common basics; kind of like elementary school supposedly teaches you to read and write. Once you get those in you can start looking around for whatever challenges your interest most.

Jimbo60 Thanks this.
  7. The_Pagan

The_Pagan Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Coshocton, OH
    Greetings all,

I am currently enrolled in a CDL school. I got prehires from Werner and TMC, but they now I find that they don't want to hire me because I can't verify my work history for the last 3 years. I was doing odd jobs/lawncare for people. I hear that pretty much all companies want proof of work history. Is there anyway I can get around this? I find it odd that I can't get a job so I pay $4k to get my CDL and now I still can't get a job.

8. sweetpea

sweetpea Light Load Member

May 2, 2008
    Glade Hill,VA
    I will give you the same advice I gave my son. Go to the Department of transportation in the state you live or county. When my son graduated high school he wanted a job to do during the day, he had a full time job in the evenings. I sent him to VDOT, he got hired as a temporary worker holding a stop sign all day at 18. They were so impressed with him showing up to work every day and never complaining and always willing to help do other things, they told him when a full time opening was coming up and told him to apply. He got hired full time at VDOT at the age of 18, after he turned 19 they helped him get his CDL to drive the dump trucks, at 21 they helped him get his CDL to drive tractor trailers, so now he hauls heavy equipment for them when they need it. He works full time for VDOT, part time for Dairy Queen and goes to school part time he is going to school to be an engineer.
    Sweetpea

9. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    :biggrin_25520: Hi, first with anything , i agree with everyboby here, if were me , i go in steps, a baby has too learn too crawl and then walk, much like your job skills, when go after a job, write down onb paper like a your going too run the place, split the paper down the middel, pros on side and cons on the other,and all your skills , then step back and ask yourself ,as your the boss now, and ask yourself , would i hire this guy as you look at both sides of the paper,medical card is next, what i do , is i go too too my doctor , since i got off the road, and have my yearly checkup, but before that i go out too my local truck stop and buy the medical card kit and have my doc fill it out and keep it up, that way you know you can pass the medical part of it,i would go bang on lawn care guys doors there easy work and in time will move up too driving there pickups and those long trls and as a added bounse youll learn too back up a trl,but most i seen is from year too three verifable driving exp, behing the wheel of a big rig, i would also hit the truckstops and see if a o/o would let you tag along and as get too place , offer too unloaded his trl for him ,then you got too have money,even after school , trucking, your gonna be flat broke for a month or longer, so if you got a job now, reg job, plan too have too have about 1000-2000 in your pocket, weigh tictkets not cheap on your first madian run or log book fines, so start saving now,hopes this helps :biggrin_2551: Everett.:biggrin_25520:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.