How to get a truck, get own numbers and how to get direct freight?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jasonar15, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Jasonar15

Jasonar15 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2017
    I had a guy around 23 years old which is the friend of a guy I know call me and tell me he was getting a truck and wanted his own numbers. I said what kind of truck and what engine in it. He said a freightliner but don’t know what kind of engine. I said ok how is your credit and how much money you have saved up. He told me his credit isn’t good and not much money. Said he was going to run for a broker that his buddy knows. Then he said he knows I have my own freight and trucks and wanted to come to my office and see what I do and who I haul for and me tell him how to get in. I don’t understand people. I didn’t want to hurt his feelings or be rude so I just said I will call you when I’m around the office.

magoo68 and Ruthless Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Okay. Thanks.

P.s I started out kind of like and now I’m doing great. When not even your own friends will help you. You go out on your own and have them swallow their words.

So i do hope you swollow your words. If he makes it.

izifaddag and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    friends and family we should not trust, including them super religious ones.

izifaddag Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tell him www.OOIDA.com has the step by step procedure for what he wants.Some people such as .....@S M D can make it work, but very few have the savvy to pull it off.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    sav·vy
    [ˈsavē]
    NOUN
    1. shrewdness and practical knowledge; the ability to make good judgments.
      "the financiers lacked the necessary political savvy"
      synonyms: shrewdness · astuteness · sharp-wittedness · sharpness · acuteness ·
      shrewd · astute · sharp-witted · sharp · acute · intelligent · clever ·

Dave_in_AZ, bryan21384 and bigguns Thank this.
  6. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Dont you remember being 23? Hell I knew almost everything, but not as much as when I was 18.

Besides how hard could it be? You just get a truck and some #'s and start pullin freight...dont worry about not having a trailer.

7. rasymacmac21

rasymacmac21 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2009
    East of the Mississippi.
    Yea man. We all hit the jackpot with our own authorities.

izifaddag and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I feel a little sympathy for the guy though; he bought a truck and doesn't know which engine is in it or if the truck is spec'd for what he plans to do. The guy he wants to help him is running his own trucking business and probably doesn't have much free time to walk someone through the whole process.

9. Bigrayon

Bigrayon Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Lol your funny, but dead on, my own sister laugh at me with her friends and yes i made it, the worse part of it she lost everything she had and yes I let her stay at my house, the same house I take my money and buy, I also get is point, he does not want to help him learn the business, look I put a young lady on with my agent, know she is on top of the world and expanding, I am not a hater, but sometimes people for get ware they are coming from,

10. Jasonar15

Jasonar15 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2017
    I started the same way. I ran for the brokers and paid the huge insurance premiums. No one helped me. I will give him advise but why go into something not knowing anything? At least when you look at a truck, know the engine and have it checked out.

11. Bigrayon

Bigrayon Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2015
    We all did at some point along the way,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.