How to get into cattle hauling

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Apd, Nov 9, 2014.

1. darknessesedge

darknessesedge Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    22 hrs??? sounds like you mmmooooooo ve right along

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    I'm pretty sure that is not enough securement.

Naptown Thanks this.
  4. HogHaulin

HogHaulin Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Amen to that brother. Been doing it 7 years and love it. 31 now so i still have some years to go. It for sure isnt a industry to get into if your lazy or not use to livestock. But boy can you pour in some money. And us livestock haulers seem to always have the best looking tractors. i run a 2006 KW w900L

5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    And the worst smelling trailers! :biggrin_25523::biggrin_2559:

Yeah, I know, that is the smell of MONEY!:biggrin_25525:

6. trucker4life

trucker4life Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2007
    So how DO you get into it?

Badmon Thanks this.
  7. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Beat on doors, hang out at sale barns. Watch and learn keep your mouth shut then when the time is right without saying a word get in the mix and and help just to help in the pens because a driver needs a hand for a minute. Then act like it's no big thing and ease off. A few times of that drivers will see you are a good hand, word travels fast.

8. HogHaulin

HogHaulin Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2014
    You got to ask around talk to people that do it. A lot of livestock companies don't advertise. You need to make sure it is what you would want to do. Its a lot of hard running and you really got to know what your doing.

9. trucker4life

trucker4life Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2007
    wore out and HogHaulin, thanks for the simple, honest reply. There are still old school drivers out there willing to help out.

10. Mrloner43

Mrloner43 Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2018
    Im a 20 year vetran truck driver. For 10 years i pulled flatbed, oversized equipment and everything else imaginable that couod b put on a flatbed, rgn, stepdeck, and covered wagon.
    I changed to hauling coal and rock with a 40 foot dump trailer and had to learn the difference between highway trucking and off road backwoods trucking.
    I veen pulling reefer and van the last couple years but i need a new chalkenge. I believe thwt if u r not growing, u r dying. I was taught that tge day im out truckin and don't learn something newni need to quit. Im not a big shot know it all but tyese new brredof steering wheel holders dont impress me nor do they seem to have much to teach me except how to destroy the trucking way of life.
    I road with my stepdad bull hauling wgen i was a youngster. I think its time to learn a new trade. I live in Alabama but will relocate to wherever needed. I stay on the road 6 to 8 weeks atca time no sweat. My wife rides with me so I'm good to go.
    Email me at:: imapwood@gmail.comn

11. J Rich

J Rich Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    First off to get into cattle hauling! You got to look the part!
    1. You need a pair of worn out #### kickers.
    2. Faded Peterbilt hat with curved brim pulled down tight.
    3. A pair of lived in wranglers boot cut (should say "stranglers" on the pocket)
    4. Button up plaid shirt or any thing Grath Brooks has worn in a video will due in a pinch.
    5. Belt with medium/large belt buckle, but not extra large. (You don't want to look like a poser)
    6. Chain Wallet!

This is not the job for flip flops, sweatpants, wife beaters, or flat brim hats.

The money must be good for someone! You never see a cattle hauler driving a white cab Freightliner with a blue sleeper, yellow driver door, red passenger door, and green hood. It's always a slick KW or Pete with no less than 80 chicken lights.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.