How to get the most money out of brokers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kenworth6969, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    we are in this together, remember if we haul cheap freight it hurts us all.

So what works to give best shot at getting moonshot rates?

I'll start.
    I study what's on the load board per particular lanes with rates posted.
    Then when brokers call me wanting me to haul their load I ask what does it pay.
    They'll say for example $1000.
    Then I'll say we'll theres loads on the board same lane posted for $1400-$1700 and not moving, so if u want me to haul your load you gotta pay better than them.

If they stick to their cheap guns ill say okay thanks but if you don't pay up ill just go ahead and call one of these loads offered for more than your load. No problem have a nice day.

If that don't work ask broker if they are willing to quit their job and work at different company doing same job for a huge pay cut.
    When they say no you say but thats what you're asking me to do by taking your load

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That sounds good, but some of them don't always have time to engage in that length of dialogue with you. Some of them will just move on to the next truck, it is quite a OOs out here, not to mention companies that will haul cheap from time to time. They all have done it. It's a nice plan, but everyone has that, til they're punched in the mouth....to quote Mike Tyson.

The_Great_Corn Thanks this.
  4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    You aren't going to get nearly double what they are offering, ever. If they have a posted rate then they are usually about at their max as is. They posted the rate because they don't have time or ability do dicker with everyone on the phone all day.

Remember that 90% of the crap on load boards you don't want anyway. The good brokers aren't desperate.

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Why would you even bother calling about the cheaper paying load? You won't be able to bluff them into thinking there's better paying loads out there, they can see exactly what you see on the board.

6. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    99% of the time when I get a phone call they offer me less than other loads that are posted.

Use what's posted as leverage.

Let's hear some other ideas too

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    So don't haul it. Generally if the broker calls me they're offering a better rate than you'll find on the board. Let's be honest here, not hauling their cheap freight is the only real leverage and option you have. You can try to get them to bump the rate, they don't generally move very much.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Just put gun to their head and tell them, send rate con now .. OR ELSE !!!

9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Stop answering calls from TQL ...

jason6541, 86scotty, shanman and 2 others Thank this.
  10. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I love it when TQL calls me. That means they're hurting for a truck. When they call, they tell me the details, and then ask what my rate is. I've never made less than $3.00 per mile that way. Now if I call them, it's a different story....probably going to be on the cheap side.

11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    The title of the thread brought me here...
    So, all I need to do is to tell them "Don't be a dick....give me more money!"
    OK...I'll try that next time. Thanks for the tip.

Vampire and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.