How to get your HAZMAT Endorsement!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by American-Trucker, Sep 16, 2010.

1. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    OK, obviously I'm FAR from the most experienced driver on here but this is something that would have helped me a long time ago.

Neither of the Truck Driving Schools I went to nor the DMV were any help in figuring out how to get the HAZMAT endorsement.

First thing you need to do is go to www.hazprints.com and fill out the Application. It cost $89.25 and it covers the cost of the background check as well as the finger prints. (You DO NOT have to be 21 to do this part of getting your HAZMAT Endorsement)

Second click the "Locations" button at the top and search for a finger printing facility in your area. (You DO NOT have to be 21 to do this part of getting your HAZMAT Endorsement)

Third go get finger printed. (They CAN NOT start the background check until you get finger printed). (You DO NOT have to be 21 to do this part of getting your HAZMAT Endorsement)

Forth Call the "Hazprints" phone number (877) 429-7746 seven days after you get finger printed to find out the status of your background check. (They say it can take up to 120 days for them to complete your application, but I filed out the application and got finger printed on September 9th 2010 and I was Cleared to go get my endorsement on September 11th 2010.)

Fifth Call your Local DMV after you get off the Phone with HazPrints to check to make sure that they have you as Clear on there system. (It can take up to 72 Hours for the DMV to get the info from HazPrints.)

Sixth Go to your DMV and take the HAZMAT test. (You DO NOT need the letter they send you saying your clear to get your HAZMAT Endorsement, the DMV has it in there computer already that your clear) (YOU MUST BE 21 TO TAKE THE HAZMAT TEST AT THE DMV)

Thats all there is to it, $89.25 + your DMV fee's!

NOW the HAZMAT TEST:

1) It is NOT hard at all. Read through the HAZMAT section of your DMV CDL Book.

2) Then go to www.cristcdl.com

3) Click the button that says "Online Testing Center" on the left side of the page

4) Scroll down a little bit and on the left side of the screen click "Haz Mat Test 1"

5) Continue going through ALL 7 HAZMAT test until you can get every question right

EVERY SINGLE QUESTION THAT WAS ON MY HAZMAT TEST AT THE DMV WAS ON THOSE PRACTICE TEST!!!!!!!

I don't know if the DMV HAZMAT test is the same in every state but here in NC it's 30 Questions and its done on the Computer. You need to get 24 right to pass, and if you get 7 wrong you Fail. I got the first 24 questions right so it stopped, so I only had to answer 24 questions!

I hope this helps my fellow new drivers out there!

American Trucker

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ragtopjr

ragtopjr Light Load Member

May 14, 2008
    Saskatoon,Sk,Can
    Forgive me if I sound anal, but why would you not finish the test?

If all you are looking for out of a Haz Mat course is a Certificate, then to be honest I dont really want to see you on the road with a Placarded load!

Just my two cents....:biggrin_25510:

4. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

I said IT stopped, not me. it wouldn't let me go any further! I did finish the test......

American Trucker

teddy_bear6506 and Native Dancer Thank this.
  5. sailalibi

sailalibi Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2010
    annapolis,md
    The test automatically stops with 24 correct answers!

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  6. statikuz

statikuz Medium Load Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Reno Nevada
    Yeah, the test stops automatically once you get the required amount of questions right.

In reality though, just like most other things, you're really going to learn the ins and outs of hauling hazmat on the job. Passing the test just proves you know the ultra-basics.

7. ragtopjr

ragtopjr Light Load Member

May 14, 2008
    Saskatoon,Sk,Can
    Sorry I misread that. My Apologies!

I guess the point I was trying to make is that Haz Mat is nothing to be taken lightly....

Thanks for correcting me.

8. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I didn't know you had to do the fingerprint and background check before you did the test. I knew it had to be done but thought you could take the test when you went for your permit.

Learn something new everyday.

9. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

It might be different in other states, But I know that is the order it has to be done in North Carolina. I did read somewhere on here the other night that in CA you can test first, but I don't know if thats true or not.

American Trucker

10. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I know I've seen some post that they didn't actually get their endorsement until they did the background check but they still took the written when they did all the others.

Who knows, it has to be done anyway. :)

Guess I'll find out when I actually go do the permit. :)

Thanks for the info.

11. statikuz

statikuz Medium Load Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Reno Nevada
    In NV it was the same way, had to have background and fingerprints done before the test.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.