How to haul produce?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by asphaltreptile311, May 18, 2019.

1. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    What are some tips for hauling produce, or must know info?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. paulhaul1

paulhaul1 Bobtail Member

May 18, 2019
    Thank you for posting this question. I am new in this business and struggling to get good paid loads.

4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Dave_in_AZ and asphaltreptile311 Thank this.
  5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    If the B?L says a certain temp, pulp it and record what the temp is and run the unit as it states, check often and make sure your unit is working properly before you run the southwest or any hot area.

6. bigtravelr

bigtravelr Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Pack a lunch and dinner. Stand on dock while loading, verify count and condition. Pulp temp run unit on continuous. Hit manual defrost button frequently.

7. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    drive to shipper. open doors. back in dock. wait until loaders are done. drive to del. repeat all the above.

KB3MMX, x1Heavy and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Make sure any produce you're picking up isn't ripe.Each fruit or veggie has to be a certain ripeness. If its too ripe, by the time it gets to market, it will be spoiled. For example, tomatoes should be a little green when you pick them up. I once picked up a load of oranges that were moldy, I had a waiver from the shipper, they were to be used for degreaser. When I got to Hunts Point, they tried to refuse them, till I showed them the waiver. Back in the day Roman tomatoes also needed a waiver, they were coveted by the markets so they didn't mind a little waste(but make sure you have a waiver or you'll be owning a lot of tomato sauce). Loading can be tricky also, it's best to see and talk to other drivers and see how they're loading them. Watch you're 6 well, unscrupulous shippers will try to stick you with a bad load and it's no fun going to the landfill. I once saw a driver bring a load of taters from Oregon, those suckers were ripe when he picked them up, they were mush when he got to Jersey, he had to eat(not literally) the whole load and then pay to dump them, he had a nice truck too(most likely needed a wash job after the dump). Good luck, hope this helps.

9. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Friend of mine had a produce place and I used to drive for him once in a while. I hated having to be an inspector of everything that went on the truck. Went to Hunt's Point one night for a load of peppers. After waiting about 4 hours, they started to load me. I checked a few boxes on each pallet and the stuff looked ok to me. Apparently, they had "topped off" most of the pallets, hiding the crap at the bottom. My friend ended up sending the whole load back the next night!

10. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Use the load bars at least 4 on hand always. Or E straps.
    Keep trailer clean before loading.
    Keep jumper cables on hand. At least 2.
    Follow shipper temp instructions.
    Learn how to prime your reefer.
    Learn what anti gel is.

asphaltreptile311 Thanks this.
  11. sonnyp

sonnyp Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Where do you run? All my produce freight pays good

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.