How to jumpstart a starter if there is no crank

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by iceman32, Jun 3, 2017.

1. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    1 screwdriver, and long lenths of copper wires.

I helped a fellow driver out, jumpstarted his truck TWICE, at the cat scale and fuel line. (He kept forgetting not to turn off his truck).

In the picture, I highlighted the possible areas where the current needs to be bypassed.

Wire needs to have both ends exposed, tie one end to a screwdriver. Touch the screwdriver at one of the areas highlighted where it is easy to reach, the other end of the wire will be touching the area that is hardest to reach. (Note, not all starters are placed the same, like my truck, the starter is backwards so I would have to crawl under the truck.)

Before you touch, turn the key off, and key on. Take the gear out of neutral. Wait for a clicking or buzzing noise. Touch the starter, THERE WILL BE SPARKS, and the engine should crank and start.

Attached Files:

My-Ke and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Yup, but may not work on newest trucks.
    My last truck with a DD15 would not fire the injectors unless the ECM was sending a start signal to the starter. Although if someone hit the start key at the same time you hit the starter with the screwdriver it may work.

4. iceman32

Sep 26, 2014
    In desperate scenarios where nobody is out to help, and you are in the middle of nowhere, here's what they can do.

1. Disconnect the batteries, and make sure the truck has no power

2. Wire up the starter, 2 separate cross wires incase one of the wires get burnt. (Look at the pic that I put up to see where to tie the wires).

3. Stand outside. Start connecting the batteries, before you connect the last one, get ready to turn the key and crank it. You have a 5 second window.

4. If your battery box is on the passenger side, and the starter is on the driver side engine, then you are f*****

5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Did you boost cars for a living, (or for that matter, a hobby,) before you became a trucker?;)
    There is, or at least was, a Graydall in this area that has been used on more than one job site to unload trucks, when nobody else was using it.:D

BoogieMan, AModelCat and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. iceman32

Sep 26, 2014
    No I just learned it from a mechanic. The silent ones know more, the talkative ones know less.

Lepton1, Big Don and rolls canardly Thank this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That's fine as long as the issue is not in the solenoid or shift lever causing the gear shaft to not engage the fly wheel.

8. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Fords "Better Idea" was to have a door keypad, key, and fob to operate the door locks.
    Battery is dead, and key, with the fob, is locked inside.
    Now what???
    And did I say you can't get into locked hood to jump it?
    You can't reach the starter easily, so I made up a rig like that and hung it inside wheel well - out of sight.
    Had a alligator clip on one end to clip on hot terminal; jump from another vehicle battery to get juice
    to the keypad to get in. Fooled me once; then my kid called with same issue.
    So no worries, walked him thru it on phone and all good. He even put it back where it belongs. Amazing.

9. Rusty Trawler

Rusty Trawler Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Here's something I do
    I bought assorted plastic pipe splices and assorted clamps
    About 10 bucks
    Blow a water hose or airline and you can be back rolling in 10 minutes
    A couple Winters ago I found a driver and his dog freezing at the Pilot outside St Louis at midnight
    He had blown a water line the day before
    I sent him in for anti freeze, by the time he came out his truck was fixed.
    For less than 5 bucks.

Lepton1 and rolls canardly Thank this.
  10. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    had a plastic 3/8" air line melt thru - from the hot braided line directly from air compressor.
    moved and secured braided line, but couldn't use truck without repairing tubing that was leaking.
    Found a Lowes; and they had push in couplers that fit. Like you I kept some, and extra tubing, in truck.

11. Rusty Trawler

Rusty Trawler Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Yeah, ya gotta be mcgyver out here
    I'll take a taxi to Lowe's if need be to ad lib a fix.
    Like I've told before, trailer blowout pulls your flap bar into the tires.
    Can't move, 20 minutes left on your 14, a tire shop a mile away
    Slide the tandems way back, tie a two inch strap from the bar to the Dot bumper, slide em forward
    Flap bar good as new
    Drive to the tire shop.
    You do what ya gotta do.

Alaska76 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.