How to Mount a Mountain Bike Behind the Cab

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by downplay, Mar 23, 2023.

1. downplay

downplay Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Can you please suggest any creative and practical ways to mount a mountain bike behind my cab?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    I always put mine inside. Too much can go wrong with it back there

ducnut, downplay, 201 and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Right, store it inside the sleeper compartment. Unless you already have mountain bike, consider a folding bike.
    Storing one behind the cab will destroy it or it will be stolen.

ducnut and downplay Thank this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Good for you, as an avid bicyclist, it's a great way to spend some off time, as long as it's not the desert. I did an overnight dump truck gig, that I hated, and had a non-sleeper Mack. I took the wheels off, and strapped it to the jump seat. While all the others were boozzin' it up after hours, I went for a bike ride. I agree, behind the cab is not a good idea.

ducnut and downplay Thank this.
  6. cuzzin it

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    If you do facebook, there is a Truckers with Bicycles page.

downplay Thanks this.
  7. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    I prefer to mount my bike on the ground, too much of a jump getting off the catwalk with no runway to get up speed

Big Road Skateboard and cuzzin it Thank this.
  8. cuzzin it

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    You wont move Mountings with that attitude

jaffles and Big Road Skateboard Thank this.
  9. downplay

downplay Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    That makes sense. But, I have plans for most of my inside space. I’ve bought a quality replacement for my company’s crappy modified sine wave inverter. I want to have a small freezer for more non-fast food and non-truck stop food options and a little bigger fridge for the same reason. And, maybe a decent little convection toaster oven or other cooker. It’s possible to bake many kinds of good things! This way I’ll be able to save money and eat a little healthier.

‘There has to be some way to suspend the thing above the catwalk. I’m thinking vertically with bungees and maybe right up against the cab to protect it from being pushed into the trailer bulkhead. I could put padding between it and the cab. BUT, it seems likely someone else has already solved this problem. I will check on the Facebook page as suggested.

And, there are ways to lock up a bike that make it difficult to steal. The really good stuff is expensive though!

Why not the desert? Popped tires? The bike I’m looking at does have an airless tire option.

Yes, I like to exercise and take care of myself a bit. I’ve gained about 4-5 lbs as a trucker. I walk some and try to get in a set of pushups most days; but, it’s not really enough. I feel bad for some of the truckers I see that waddle or can barely walk. But, they had choices all along the way in getting there just like everyone else.

Also, the bike can offer more freedom in places to eat, shop, etc…maybe even sight see or socialize.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Reason for edit: Misspelling
  10. jaffles

jaffles Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Australia
    Drop into a roof rack shop, or google bike racks / carriers. These days you get vertical hanging racks. They suspend the bike via the front wheel and clamp the rear to stop it flapping.

Thinking there could be a single bike rack that could be mounted to a frame of sorts so the bike hangs along the back of the cab, rather than out from it.

The Railsplitter Thanks this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Watch the 10,000 videos on YouTube describing the technique.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.