How to not be tired after long trips?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Did my first long trip in a while 1300 miles each way so 2600 miles in 5 days. Came back home to do my reset and I am absolutely exhausted. Usually I run regional so I only drive 6-7 hours or so and do 2-3 deliveries. Driving nearly 11 hours per day was pretty awful.

How do you guys get through it? Exercise? Or is it just simply getting used to it? Coffee only helped for 3-4 hours before I came crashing down.

Feeling like a zombie. I'm dreading the next trip I have is also long, 1250 miles one way. Not sure I can pull it off.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I say it's getting used to it. I know I usually need a day or so to recover after my 2-3 days out on my regional turns. But coffee, tea, chewing gum, and taking little stretch/walk breaks in a clear area during each trip helps. I also try to get as much exercise done on my home weight bench set before heading out again.

4. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Yeah driving those kind of hrs will catch up with you . A reset hardly gives you no time for rest or a life , I couldn't do it .

5. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    You got to pull over and park, step out in your step, pull your pants up, then fall out of the truck.
    You’ll be good for another 100 miles or so, repeat as necessary.

6. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Just have to condition yourself. It can also help to psych yourself out. Don't look at the entire length of the journey,break it down into days,set yourself a goal for each day. I find it easier to knock out 6hrs straight before taking a 30min break, that way after my break I only have another 4ish hours to run. 3,500-4,000 mile weeks are not so bad if you can get in 700 miles a day.

Of course you have to make yourself comfortable. Sweat pants get a lot of ridicule on here, but they are 10 times more comfortable than jeans and if you just have driving to do and are not interacting with customers who cares what you are wearing. Other drivers at truck stops can shake their heads all they want,they are the ones checking out what another dude is wearing so maybe they have bigger issues they are suppressing than your choice of clothing.

Get physically comfortable with some good music or podcasts to take your mind off the miles and you decrease fatigue.

7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Change your diet. Cut the carbs.

8. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Conditioning yourself and running by a set schedule helps your body clock get used to it. When I was OTR I did 12am to 12pm-2pm. Running at the middle of night made the time go quicker then I started slowing down around 11am. Also taking breaks every 4 hours makes it easier to deal with.

9. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    After a few days of running off of recap, all I do is sleep once I get in a position where I am not under any time pressure.

Driving is like some kind of vampire. You don’t notice the energy drain at first, but you certainly feel it after a few long days

10. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Big difference In having to be somewhere at a Absolute set time at the end of everyday. Or saying to yourself I am going to make it to THERE today after you do your trip planning for the day and making adjustments for heavy traffic areas .

And if I don’t I am going to have to make it up tomorrow or update dispatch on appointment reschedule.

A little over 500 miles a day should be easily doable if your not driving through Big city traffic like Chicago and your not governed at 62.

Keep the door shut except to pull over at a rest stop for 5 minutes every 2 hours and run in and pee and get some blood flowing .

I never got out of the truck because I didn’t want to get redressed in the winter. I just Hit the Jug.

Grabbed some healthy snacks out of the fridge , or make a light lunch to eat ,reloaded my cups with ice and hauled butt.

Just standing up and getting the blood flowing wakes you up.

Stay off the Carbs.

Drink water and Have healthy snacks To munch on and stay away from loading up heavily on food in the middle of the day and stay off the energy drinks.

Only pull into truck stops to fuel or go down for the night.
    Thats it. And preferably Both at the same time .

A decent truck you should be able to average a 120 miles between rest stops hopefully 135 miles.

I did 400 mile Trips around Chicago daily
    Than had 3-4 hours waiting up to pull into the dairy and hook and unhook hose after arriving

What’s your truck governed at?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    farmerjohn64, Tony4, Upinsmoke and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    I found taking naps in the middle of my day helps me from getting wore out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.